Quantcast

Is it worth buying a decent DVD player?

GreasyWeasel

Novice Member
I'm starting to get the kit together for a home cinema and am wondering if it's worth buying an expensive dvd player at this point in time. I will be getting a projector (probably a Sony HS60, Panasonic AE900 or Sanyo Z4). My amp will probably end up being the Denon 3806. However with HD DVD just round the corner and the fact I currently own an xbox and a Panasonic Q which can both be used as DVD players. Plus I will be getting an xbox360, this side of Christmas, which will do progressive dvd playback via component. Is it worth buying a current generation dvd player? I was originally looking at the Denon 2910 but £500+ seems a bit much if I then end up needing to upgrade to HD next year. Or is it worth getting something like the Denon 1920 as a sort of stop gap?

Let me know what you think. I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to end up with a crappy picture on my nice new set up.

Cheers

Thekop

Novice Member
Hi, I fully recommend the Denon DVD3910, particulary as you're going for the new Denon AVR-3806. I doubt HD/DVD will get fully established for a few years yet ( if at all ) I'm very suspicious of HD or Blue ray DVD's as it reminds me of S-VHS when that got launched. That didn't make an impact at all.

I'm going along the lines of a projector in a few months time. But in the mean team I'm about to order a new Plasma to take full advantage of the HDMI connection and the XBOX360.

Although if the DVD 3910 is out of your range the DVD 1920 looks like excellent value for money. I'm sure you could find great bargains over the net for the either 3910 or the 2910. It would be worth going for the more expensive options, if you're going to watch it on a projection screen. Goodluck :thumbsup:

dbeamish

Novice Member
why not try having a look at an Oppo Digital DVD player then, or the European equivalent the BBK Digital (iirc) player. Cheap relatively and excellent.

Siamese Cat

Absolutely agree with the recommendation of the Oppo. Astonishing value.

Noticed that all the projectors you are looking at are LCD. Do have a look at a few DLP projectors. No one has yet seen any of the ones you are considering so can't say if which is better but if you're not affected by rainbows - most people aren't - try to have a look at the BenQ PE7700, an astonishing bargain, or an Optoma 79

pixelated

Novice Member
Thekop said:
Hi, I fully recommend the Denon DVD3910, particulary as you're going for the new Denon AVR-3806. I doubt HD/DVD will get fully established for a few years yet ( if at all ) I'm very suspicious of HD or Blue ray DVD's as it reminds me of S-VHS when that got launched. That didn't make an impact at all.

I'm going along the lines of a projector in a few months time. But in the mean team I'm about to order a new Plasma to take full advantage of the HDMI connection and the XBOX360.

Although if the DVD 3910 is out of your range the DVD 1920 looks like excellent value for money. I'm sure you could find great bargains over the net for the either 3910 or the 2610. It would be worth going for the more expensive options, if you're going to watch it on a projection screen. Goodluck :thumbsup:
I hooked my TH42PV500, Denon 3910 and Yamaha YSP-1 up for the first time last night after having the equipment for a while - got bored of waiting for the room to be complete so it's just a botch up at the moment ;) However... it's outstanding! The 3910 and PV500 are brilliant together. I connected the 3910 via HDMI and SCART... HDMI is amazing, it makes my 60-70 quid QED SCART look poor!

3910 is heartily recommended by me too :)

Stu

Thunder

Novice Member
what with the runaway success that SACD and DVDA have had on CD sales, I would hold back for about five years if I were you ;)

Kazman

I was in a similar boat, couldn't decide to go for a Marantz DV9500 or wait for HD.

In the end I thought I'd compromise, I wanted a DVD player that outputs 720p for the new Sagem HD-D45 TV I have, so debated with myself on selling the excellent Pioneer DV668 for a player capable of outputting 720p.

The fact that the Sagem TV and Pioneer DV668 were incompatible over HDMI > DVI kinda forced the change on me too.

I went and bought the Marantz DV7600, and haven't looked back since, it is an awesome player with much of the performance of the DV9500, but at half the cost. If Blu Ray/HD-DVD were not being released soon I would have probably spent the extra on the DV9500.

If I were you, I would save a bit of cash and go for something like a Denon 2910 seeing that you seem to like the Denon brand or a Marantz DV7600. The money saved could go towards HD-DVD/Blu-Ray when they arrive, or even the Sky+ HD box when released in Feb :)

The money I saved over the DV9500 will certainly be put towards one of those options, most likely the Sky+ HD box when it is out. I may hold out until a universal player of some sort arrives that can play/record both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

Here's to the future and glorius pictures :D

C

csukasem

Better not invest now. If really want to change AV compo.; go for used ones. I am waiting patiently too.

Sukasem

Matt Horne

Even if HD/BR launches next year.. I doubt you will be able to get a player for under £800. I think intially it will be very elitist much like laserdisc was. I'll also be interested to see how much the movies cost... Enjoy for now .. don't worry about tomorrow..

Think about how expensive dvd was on launch.. its taken a few years for the hardware to come down to levels we see now.

Cheers

Matt

C

crank

GreasyWeasel said:
I'm starting to get the kit together for a home cinema and am wondering if it's worth buying an expensive dvd player at this point in time. I will be getting a projector (probably a Sony HS60, Panasonic AE900 or Sanyo Z4). My amp will probably end up being the Denon 3806. However with HD DVD just round the corner and the fact I currently own an xbox and a Panasonic Q which can both be used as DVD players. Plus I will be getting an xbox360, this side of Christmas, which will do progressive dvd playback via component. Is it worth buying a current generation dvd player? I was originally looking at the Denon 2910 but £500+ seems a bit much if I then end up needing to upgrade to HD next year. Or is it worth getting something like the Denon 1920 as a sort of stop gap?

Let me know what you think. I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to end up with a crappy picture on my nice new set up.

Cheers
:) I have the 2910 and it is superb connected to my 42pv500 via HDMI i would highly recommend this player :D Although it does cost £500+ i have'nt thought of the money it cost since i bought it....just admired the picture it produces :eek: so thats got to be money well spent. :rolleyes: I am also waiting for the 3806 to partner my 2910 as i believe they will be a "STONKER!" of a partnership :smashin: ....Spend a little money now and "ENJOY!" your equipment now cos if hd-dvd or blu-ray takes off it will be even longer before its affordable :( Why settle for second best out of your equipment when it was hard earnt "ENJOY IT NOW!" :clap:

Whatever you get make sure it has HDMI and your display unit can accept that input too. HDMI to scart is like what scart was to composite video.
Also about cost. You can easily spend that much and more on a one week holiday yet this will give you pleasure for years!!!! I have the Denon 3910 and the pioneer 868 and they are both fantastic for films and sound I hook one up to Screenplay 4805 projector (cine room) and the other to the Pioneer Plasma all I can say is wow wee. Christmas is coming soon again and I'll be having my customary filmfeast yeehaw :)

Siamese Cat

Waiting for Blueray or HD dvd (which?) and using it to play dvds might not be a good idea. Whilst they might be able to play dvds they might not be any good at it. It's like dvd players' ability to play cds. They can all do it but there's not many that are good enough that you'd want to listen to them. Most who care even a little bit about sound quality still have seperate cd players. Might be the same with Blueray and HD Dvd machines' ability to play dvds. They'll probably be tuned to deliver their best performance on their high definition format and not optimised for dvd. It could be that you'll still need a dvd player. By one now, I'd say, there's terrific value out there and you'll get years of use from it. And you can always put it in the bedroom when it's past it's prime and you've just bought your 50 megabyte ultra high definition broadband access to the World Video Library 5 years from now.

GreasyWeasel

Novice Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. It would seem that the majority are advising to go the new dvd player route. One question I do have is what is the real difference between the Denon 2910 and the 3910? They seem to be very similar spec wise but a number of you here seem to have gone for the 3910 (is it really worth the extra?).
On the question of Blueray or HD DVD, based on Sony's track record with this sort of development I may even see if it's possible to put a few quid on them messing it up again ;)

Trending threads

Top Bottom