1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it worth buying a cheap subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mkendall, Dec 10, 2001.

1. mkendall

mkendall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a yamaha rxv620, marantz 3100dvd ,celistion f2 speakers and a set of cheap hifi speakers for the rear.

Is it worth buying a cheap subwoofer like the aiwa from richer sounds for £40 or am i better saving up to buy a better one!

If i have to save up what sort of money should i be spending?

Thanks
    Mike

Unless anybody selling a second hand one?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A cheap subwoofer either won't go deep enough to be worthwhile or even worse will lack precision so that it will sound terrible.

There have been a couple of £300 subs praised by magazines and some of the Paradign subs sold by Richer Sounds have been praised in this forum.

Keep your eyes open for a second hand REL but I haven't seen them advertsied very often. I am still using the original Q Bass which I think is brilliant.

Ian

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    Agree with Ian. A firm NO!

4. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got the Celestion F3's as fronts and added a Paradigm PD10. About £150 from Richer Sounds. Gave my system some of the extra grunt it needed. Obviously not as good as a second hand REL if you can find one but for what I could afford at the time and what I could find, I have been pleased with it.

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purcahsed the KEF PSW1000, this is the baby brother of the sub that kef use in their egg setup. The sub is really well built and looks particluar stylish in the cherry. You can find it for £140 and is actually a very good sub for movie use, even though the REL's are a lot bit better I could not afford or justify £500 at the time. The KEF can sometimes sound a bit wolly and overpowering at times with music but I tend to switch it off for that.

Overall if you want a good sub to give some extra bass to movies then I can fully recommend the KEF.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's cheap?!?
    Some say the REL Q100 was a cheap subwoofer ...but it's around 300.
    IMO you can get a solid sub for movies for under 150. It doesn't have to be "musical"...but should be able to provide the grunt to make a difference.
    I myself have been looking at the Tannoy Msub10...150 pounds.
    The Rel Q100 cost is twice as expensive.

The Aiwa is a sub for "cheap" homecinema sets. Those all in one sets. To be used with cheap small boxes. It's nice, but it won't surprise me if some solid speakers will not provide the same and better sounding bass than this sub.

Even though 50 quid is not that much... i suggest you save for a liitle more. Asub of 100-150 will be a great fit for your system.
    Don't forget subs last for a long time and it's a good idea to buy one with an eye for the future.