Is it worth buying a 1080p LCD TV/Screen Size - Please help this newbie

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sgriff, Jan 12, 2008.

1. sgriff

sgriff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a new tv. Probably a LCD tv as we have a french window 12ft to the left and I’ve heard about glare problems with plasmas.

I'm looking for a tv which won't blur when I watch football. The show room salesman said to go for a 1080p tv. Looking online, I discover that Sky only broadcast HD in 720p and 1080i. Am I missing something - will having a 1080p tv make any difference to having a 1080i or 720p tv for watching sky broadcasts, especially sport?

On a separate note, I'm not sure what size tv to go for. The various salesmen recommended a 37" (we will sit 9.5ft away). However, looking online I've come across lots of different advice. Some places state that bigger than 37" at that distance will result in me seeing pixels, others state I won't see any difference watching a HD broadcast as a 37" screen is too small! I'm very confused!

Thanks in advance.:lease:

2. richiej

richiej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Welcome to the mad house....... I'm in the same boat. :thumbsup:

I'm probably going 37" but no bigger, and too am tempted to go 1080p in order to get "the best" or at least a "better" picture that will also benefit from tomorrows broadcasts ;)

I look forward to other replies and suggestions on this thread :)

3. Windtalker

Windtalker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    if you want the best out of bluray, and watch alot then id say go for 1080p :thumbsup: if you dont id get a good hidef tv plasme or lcd,just depends on what you will be doing most.i myself can only see a slight see a slight differance on bluray on a 42" lcd :rolleyes: imo gaming looks good in 1080p :D but full HD games are few at the moment,and i think that 720p games look worse on a 1080 screen for some reason.

if you want it for sd material and sky hd id say get the best price plasma you can afford 720 or 1080 :smashin:

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Here's the science behind resolution and viewing distance that may be of interest. This applies to any type of pixel based display.

http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...derstanding-1080p-resolution-in-displays.html

There will be no issue with visible pixel structure even at basic SD resolution at the viewing distance/screen sizes you mention. Pixel structure only becomes an issue at much larger screen i.e. a projector at your viewing distance.

AVI