Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is it worth building a HTPC, if all I have to display it on is an RPTV,Toshiba 51wh3p

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ftuddy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ftuddy

ftuddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post ever!!, so hear goes.... I really love the concept of building a HTPC, being able to watch movies from your HardDrive, stream MP3 files around your house, and surf the net all from your couch. But the question is, If i do not have a display that can output High Definition, is their any point in doing so?

My TV is 51" RPTV (toshiba, 51wh36p), if I where to build a HTPC, what would be the best way to connect to this TV, to get the best picture. Would I be able to use the TV as giant monitor to surf the web, do emails etc.

The TV has, RGB scart, composite, s-video and component inputs..

all help gladly recieved :lease:

Faisal

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

Sure, building an HTPC will provide several benefits even if you don't have anything other than a 'normal' TV .. you mention them yourself :), my main use for an HTPC is playing ripped DVDs, so much more convenient that inserting a DVD into a player then going to make a cup of tea while the damned copyright warnings, ads and trailers play which you can't skip.

Many HTPC owners of course use a TV tuner to record TV programmes, the HTPC thus doubles as a PVR.

Connecting a PC to your TV could be done using S-Video for lowest quality, but I believe you can get VGA->SCART converters and ATI and NVidia both provide cards which allow component output.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine's connected to a 43" Toshiba via s-video and the picture is surpisingly good although I must admit I went down the HTPC route because I also have a projector. I think Ati cards are the ones to get to connect via RGB, I use the s-video out from a nVidia MX440 myself.

All the other benefits make it worthwhile and at some point my RPTV will die and I'l get a plasma/LCD to replace it - at that point the HTPC will be much better than any set top box...

Good luck

Simon

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi Faisal,

I've got a HTPC feeding a progressive scan picture into my 36" toshiba CRT TV. The picture is superb, absolutely rock solid, plenty good enough for web browsing etc. For DVD the quality is an obvious step up from my previous £500 sony player.

Its not the most straightforward way of doing things but I feel its well worth it. The main thing for me is the convenience, I've got all my CDs and DVDs ripped to a media server and play them over the network.

Go for it.

Owain