1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth adding power amps to receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by David Bier, Oct 26, 2001.

1. David Bier

David Bier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering whether adding an amp such as a Rotel RMB-1075 or the
    Marantz 9000 to a Denon AVR-3300 will give noticeable improvements. I
    have Mission 750/73C/77DS speakers which aren't at all hard to drive
    and my room isn't big.

What improvements would I notice, if any? Would changes be more
    noticeable for 5.1 or stereo software?

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an Onkyo 787 and added a Rotel 993 for the front channels.

I got a big difference in detail, both DVDs and CDs, for instance, now I could listen to each spectator clapping in the audience, instead of a big blurred clapping, in a piano and cello sonata, I could listen to both instruments, as if I had a different system playing each, instead of listening clearly the one soloing with some background fill from the other...

Maybe my examples are bad, but the difference was huge...

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I added an Arcam Alpha 10 intergrated and 10P Power amp to just the front channel of my system to give me better music (which is did ten-fold), however, the difference it made to movies through my Yamaha A2 was pretty substanial also more than I originally anticipated.

My advice would be to get some dem's under your belt, at home if at all possible, and it you think it's worth it - go for it !

Good Luck,

David

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the same reason the center speaker should be matched to the fronts, you should use similar amps and cables, or you will ear two different voices for each person when they are in the center, (DVDs), it happened to me when I changed the front amp interconnects...