Is it wise to buy a used PS3?

N

noname90

Hi guys

I'm currently searching for 60gb PS3 and since it won't be available anywhere in the UK, I went to ebay to search for it and found some interesting offers.

My question is, is it wise to buy a used PS3 off ebay? I'm not concerned too much about the seller status as that can be judged from the ratings (more or less)

But I'm more concerned about the condition of the PS3 itself.

1) I've seen a used PS3 bricked for a few days, but I've also heard stories of new PS3 broke down as well. So in terms of the probability of it becoming useless, will it be almost the same, depending on your luck?

2) Would a used PS3 have higher chance to become faulty although its lifespan is just a few months old?

Thanks a lot.

i think it depends on how the own has treated the machine tbh,
id only by second hand if i could try before i buy myself

It is difficult buying used electrical goods because you can never know the real reason why something is being sold. I think it all comes down to guarantees if the guarantee is good buying becomes a lot easier.

Anybody had any bad experience buying a used PS3? Seems like a risky choice to make.

worked for me.
originally bought a new 40gb from Dixons but decided to search for a 60gb because of the ps2 compatibility and I have never been happier.

it was bought from these very forums too.

I would say it depends on the price your paying for a used 60GB.

You can pick up a new 40GB PS3 for £299 with 12 months warranty so if the price you're paying isn't much less than £299 I would buy a new one as there's a garantee if it breaks down within the first 12 months. You also have the options to insure your purchase for a further 3 to 5 years depending on the retailer.

Ultimately it's the risk you take when buying second hand goods.

I would say it depends on the price your paying for a used 60GB.

You can pick up a new 40GB PS3 for £299 with 12 months warranty so if the price you're paying isn't much less than £299 I would buy a new one as there's a garantee if it breaks down within the first 12 months. You also have the options to insure your purchase for a further 3 to 5 years depending on the retailer.

Ultimately it's the risk you take when buying second hand goods.

Buy a new ps3, and then get a ps2, or even cheap it out and get a used ps2.. alot cheaper and less a risk if it breaks down

I was in same boat. Wanted 60gb for PS2 compatibility.
I bought one of the ps3 classifieds from these forums last week as I felt they were a bit more trustworthy. I asked around a few traders and they're willing to be quite helpful.

If you;re patient you may be able to find some still with some of their warranty left.

Never in million years would I have bought one off eBay.

If you're desperate for peace of mind, looks like choicesuk have some in, but at nearly £400 its a bit steep:

http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.aspx/game_home/ps3_game_home/hardware_ps3_game_home!826359

Caveat Emptor

I bought a used 60gb PS3 from Gamestation (Internet store). It was very used. The controller simply didn't work at all - all symbols had been worn off and some keys stuck down - and the console was scratched etc.

They agreed to change the controller but I borrowed one to try out the console. It worked for about 1/2 hour at a time and then crashed. It was covered by warranty and I got my money back which is why I bought from Gamestation in the first place rather than Ebay. Gamestation were very helpful in the whole process. I am now back to the opinion buy a new 40gb PS3 and keep the PS2. Even if I had seen this console working it I doubt I would have left it running somewhere 1/2 hour before agreeing to buy it.

I am also looking to buy a 60GB PS3 from ebay. Normally I wouldn't consider such a massive undertaking and trust ebay, however paypal is insured for the costs, and the seller is offering a full refund if not happy. I suppose it depends on your own instincts - if the price is right, if the pictures are detailed enough, and the info seems reliable and it assured to be in good working condition, and you're in regular contact with the seller through e-mail asking the right questions it could be an option.

In regards to the warranty, even if that has expired I believe Sony have £60 a year extended cover - Or you could pay as you go for repairs (if it breaks)? but I also assume the PS3 is a more reliable machine than the Xbox 360. I'm on my 3rd 360 console, and my 4 year old PS2 is still going without one hitch...

However, what I am concerned about though is the registration of a 2nd hand console for warranty cover if I decide to extend that through Sony. will the Sony PS3 website accept registration numbers of consoles already registered, as would be the case of gamers selling on their consoles to others..?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom