Question Is it weird that I dislike my speakers for TV/Film, but love them for Music?

Madao

Standard Member
I have the following gear

Yamaha A-S501
Q Acoustic 3050i.

I'm really happy when listening to music with them, but just don't find this setup enjoyable for watching TV/Film and more often than not just use the TV speakers even if they are under-powered. Just wondering if i'm doing something wrong after spending so much on audio gear.

jkbmusic

Novice Member
IMO your Q Acoustic loudspeakers will be far superior in sound quality to that of the television. If you are playing your TV sound source signal (Audio out), via the Amp, then it also should be far superior to the TV speakers.

gibbsy

That's an odd statement, usually it's the other way around. Films are brilliant but stereo music is crap. Have you run the room EQ on the Yamaha?

MaryWhitehouse

That's an odd statement, usually it's the other way around. Films are brilliant but stereo music is crap. Have you run the room EQ on the Yamaha?
That’s a stereo amp I don’t think it has any room eq.
How is everything connected up?

gibbsy

MaryWhitehouse

Ah my bad. Though I was still modding the receivers.:blush:
Lol that amp should sound fine enough for this so I suspect there’s a problem to be solved.

gibbsy

Lol that amp should sound fine enough for this so I suspect there’s a problem to be solved.
Yes agree. It was the mention of film against music that threw me as well.

@Madao A photograph of the speakers in their current position would help. Also what is your music source and how do you have the TV connected to the amp.

AudioJosh

Standard Member
How good is the sound card in your PC? That's what you would be using to decode the sound if you're running a 3.5mm to RCA cable from PC to Amp. People often use external DAC's bridging between PC and Amp to improve the sound (I have done this myself as the DAC in my Macbook Air sounds a bit naff).

Might be worth you trying an optical cable from TV to Amp to see if that improve things? You'd then be using the DAC inside the AS-501 to decode the sound and it's not a bad one.

EDIT: you could also experiement to see if things sound better with the Pure Direct button on the amp switched on if you haven't tried that already.

Last edited:

Madao

Standard Member
A photograph of the speakers in their current position would help. Also what is your music source and how do you have the TV connected to the amp.
I can't take a picture at the moment, but the place im in right now is less than ideal.

1.5 foot from the wall (from behind the speaker)
1 foot from the wall ( from the side of the speaker)
4.9 foot between speakers.

If this is the problem at least it's a temporary one.

Might be worth you trying an optical cable from TV to Amp to see if that improve things. You'd then be using the DAC inside the AS-501 and it's not a bad one.
I can try this later.

gibbsy

Optical would help and set the TV to output bitstream and DD.

MaryWhitehouse

Ditch the 3.5 to RCA and find a way to let the amp decode everything. The tv at least can send optical to the amp once you’ve sent via HDMI to it. Can you get a coax out from the pc to the amp for music?

Madao

Standard Member
Can you get a coax out from the pc to the amp for music?
Not at the moment. It's just from the motherboard and it has no coax/toslink. I was looking at inexpensive options to achieve this, but I couldn't find much available in the UK at least.

MaryWhitehouse

What’s the source for videos. Netflix etc or stored files? As audio for both arrives by the same route I’m thinking the source files aren’t good?

gibbsy

The 3.5 will be the headphone out and this isn't the best option for audio by a long way. Almost an after thought on a lot of TVs.

MaryWhitehouse

The 3.5 will be the headphone out and this isn't the best option for audio by a long way. Almost an after thought on a lot of TVs.
The 3.5 is from the pc.

gibbsy

The 3.5 is from the pc.
Once you put PC in the answer that's me out. I currently typing on the modern equivalent of the abacus. There should be a very good Netflix and Prime App on the TV though any subscription to both would allow several units running it and an optical connection using those Apps should sound a lot better with the Yamaha doing the decoding. PC could be a very weak link.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How is the audio playback of Video files configured on the PC - hopefully 2.0 (Stereo) with no Sub?

As others suggest the 3.5mm Output can be pretty poor quality, and noisy, on many PC’s.

You have three options to consider:

1. PC HDMI > TV then TV Optical > Amp - and use the DAC in the Yamaha.

2. USB to Optical Adapter - and utilise the DAC in the Yamaha.

3. USB DAC - and bypass the Yamaha DAC.

The first option ought to work fine.

All of the options require correct positioning of the loudspeakers within the room, relevant to the TV and relevant to your seating position.

Joe

Madao

Standard Member
stored files
Yeah, files. Source audio is good quality.

How is the audio playback of Video files configured on the PC - hopefully 2.0 (Stereo) with no Sub?
Yes. 2.0, but I have to downmix some audio to stereo. I don't know if that could be causing problems.

No sub.

1. PC HDMI > TV then TV Optical > Amp - and use the DAC in the Yamaha.
I didn't realise this would work... shows how little I know.

USB to Optical Adapter - and utilise the DAC in the Yamaha.
I might be confused how these work or I'm looking at the wrong product, but not seeing any with optical out, only in?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Downmix - can def have an impact on the quality of the stereo signal you are listening too.

Source HDMI > TV > Optical > Amp - is used by many folk - though still requires your Source does a decent job of down-mixing surround sound to stereo if your content is surround sound encoded.

USB DAC - there is a huge market out there, you can spend $10 or £10k.

Just one of many -https://www.avforums.com/reviews/ifi-audio-zen-dac-review.17835

Joe

acgingersnaps

Something like a Topping D30 should work well here. Optical in for the TV. USB in for the PC. RCA connection to the amp.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘I might be confused how these work or I'm looking at the wrong product, but not seeing any with optical out, only in?’ - DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) has Digital (USB, Optical, Coax...) Input and Analogue (RCA or XLR) Output and bypasses the Digital Input/DAC in the Amp.

Joe

Madao

Standard Member
Downmix - can def have an impact on the quality of the stereo signal you are listening too
Most of it is DTS-HD Master Audio so I would think is my only option short of investing in a surround setup? (Not going to happen, unfortunately)

Something like a Topping D30 should work well here. Optical in for the TV. USB in for the PC. RCA connection to the amp.
What about the E30? Amazon product
Looks fairly affordable. I wouldn't mind buying it if it was respectable enough.

acgingersnaps

Most of it is DTS-HD Master Audio so I would think is my only option short of investing in a surround setup? (Not going to happen, unfortunately)

What about the E30? Amazon product
Looks fairly affordable. I wouldn't mind buying it if it was respectable enough.
Sure. No experience of it myself, but apparently it's an improvement.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett