1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that you now need to pay £5.00 a month for Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Tetlee, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    Now although I still haven't managed to get my consoles online just yet (see thread below:rolleyes: ) while I was in Taunton yesterday I thought I'd pick up an Xbox Live starter kit so I'm all ready. My bonfire was dampened pretty quick when the guy in Gamestation told me that as of April this year you now need to pay £5.00 per month to subsribe/use the Xbox Live service, that's on top of buying the starter kit:eek: . Could anyone here please confirm this? I always thought that your first 12 months of subscription were included in the £40 starter kit, however he told me that was never the case and regardless of when you bought the kit, the free subscription was until 1st April 2004.
    The thing is that I haven't heard anyone else saying this so I want to make sure, if it's true then I'm gonna take my Xbox back as the main reason for me buying it was to access the Live service with games such as Doom3. Personaly there's no way I can afford an extra £5.00 a month on top of my Broadband fees.
    Please someone, tell me it isn't so:lease: :lease: :lease:

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds like a plank to me. I got my kit from Amazon for £29.99 and it says it includes a years sub. Once your first year runs out you then go onto £5 a month. What I did was cancel the first sub and buy a new kit a few days before the first finished.

I certainly won't be paying £5 a month on top of the £30 and I have heard nothing to that effect from MS.

You have to be careful with people who work in such shops as many if them have the IQ of a small fruit.

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    lol, you're probably right. I admit I was surprised when he said it, especially after someone else in the shop told me that he was the Xbox Live expert:laugh: . I questioned him about this 3 times and he still insisted that he was right, usually I've found Gamestation to be a pretty good store, think I'll just buy the games from them in future and save the questions for the experts :thumbsup:

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    There are 2 options in the Xbox Live dashboard under "Billing".
    It allows you to choose between paying £5 per month or £40 for 12 months. Just choose which one you want when your current sub is about to expire.

:)

5. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when my subs ran out in march i got the live starter kit from amazon for £29:99
    1. because i wanted a spare headset(which im already using thanks kids:mad: )
    2. it works out so cheap and you dont have to change your tag just enter the code :clap: :clap:

6. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wonder if this guy was refering to the NTL abl user charge they tried to introduce ?????
    dont if this is still on going