Is it true that Oled TVs tend to look artifical and cartoonish?

Hank Hill

Established Member
Reaction score
On many threads, I have heard that OLED TVs especially LG, tend to look fake and cartoonish similar to an LCD; including the notion that movies don't look like movies. However, I did read a few reviews that suggested the Panasonic GZ OLED series has a more organic and filmic look that is similar to a Plasma.

Is there any truth to those rumors?

On many threads, I have heard that OLED TVs especially LG, tend to look fake and cartoonish similar to an LCD; including the notion that movies don't look like movies. However, I did read a few reviews that suggested the Panasonic GZ OLED series has a more organic and filmic look that is similar to a Plasma.

Is there any truth to those rumors?

No.

Nope, my OLED which is a Panasonic GZ looks more natural (some may say softer) picture compared to LED.

According to a Youtuber named Patrik Gardewall, The Pioneer Kuro destroys any OLED in nearly every capacity and that it resembles 'a moving window of reality' However, he seems to contradict himself because in one post, he said his GZ950 is the closest modern TV to a Plasma.

But in a separate post, he said it is a 'garbage' TV thank to its flat image and diluted colors; unlike an OLED, the Kuro looks 3D without it being 3D.

Patrik Gardewall is talking out of his arse.
patrik even posted a video comparison between an OLED in HDR vs Pioneer Kuro; not surprisingly that he gave the crown to the Kuro because in his words, OLEDs resemble an LCD with its cartoonist colors and lack of dimensionality.

One persons opinion. Now if Patrik would kindly ship me those TVs free of charge I'll tell him my opinion.

I'm going to be upgrading from a 60" Kuro to a 65C9 so hopefully it's a nice visual upgrade :D Although I'll still be running 1080p max due to shocking internet where I live.

According to a Youtuber named Patrik Gardewall, The Pioneer Kuro destroys any OLED in nearly every capacity and that it resembles 'a moving window of reality' However, he seems to contradict himself because in one post, he said his GZ950 is the closest modern TV to a Plasma.

But in a separate post, he said it is a 'garbage' TV thank to its flat image and diluted colors; unlike an OLED, the Kuro looks 3D without it being 3D.

Thing is the krp500m he would be using is not the standard pioneer kuro that most have..
Not sure whether you know or not but the kuros can be voltage tweaked to drop the black levels.. and hes done a host of other tweaks to that panel too.. I've done this with all of mine I also had a krp500 which was the best picture I had ever seen but went bigger.. cut a long story short I sold the krp600 and have had a Panasonic ez952 OLED for a yr and a half which only gets used for movies, bluray 1080p and 4khdr discs the odd film from Netflix once in a blue moon... I got the Panasonic at the time because with all the max frame other features off and in a pro mode it behaved like my kuros cinematic not at all flat and very lifelike and also the fact Panasonic then had the crown for plasma after the kuro I think they must have put some of that processing into the image...I love my kuros as still have one in the front room for everyday viewing 11yrs old from new and it's been great.. some poorer bluray transfers look better on that than the OLED probably because more detail brings out more artifacts the kuro softer image.. and good 1080p blurays are very close but it's the 4khdr movies it cant compete.. also watching a comparison is hard unless you're there really.. bit like auditioning speakers and listening from the TV or on the phone.. the kuro is a great TV build quality etc and all rounder and was way ahead of it's time but it wont last forever and I think it has been surpassed but no tech is perfect, kuros heat , energy hungry and can buzz the OLEDs like many modern leds qled can be a panel lottery too banding tint etc.. I've seen this once since I've had my TV.. will it last as long as my kuro..?? I doubt it but it's a step up in pic quality..

The simple fact is that any TV can be made to look fake and cartoonish and often with the standard settings with the image processing on it doesn't help, especially if de-judder and de-blur are in effect. I can't stand the "Standard" mode setting not only on my LG but any TV.

The simple fact is that any TV can be made to look fake and cartoonish and often with the standard settings with the image processing on it doesn't help, especially if de-judder and de-blur are in effect. I can't stand the "Standard" mode setting not only on my LG but any TV.
Apparently even when the LG OLED has been calibrated, it still resembles an LCD with cartoonish like smear to its colors. Others have specified that an OLED will never be reference quality because of its WRGB which dilutes colors.

However, that Patrik guy did say that the GZ series impressed him when it came to motion handling and that it even rivaled his precious Kuro. Talking of motion, he did say both Panny and Sony's BFI modes were useless and that they did nothing to increase motion resolution.

Tom and Jerry certainly looked cartoonish on my ex-LG 65C8 OLED. :)

Some things definitely haven’t improved: They look like that on my Kuro!

Last edited:
Somethings definitely haven’t improved: They look like that on my Kuro!

I heard the OLEDs look fake like an LCD unlike a Plasma with its natural imagery thank to the Kuro utilizing real RGB phosphorus that emits a natural glow to its colors unlike the artificial light that you supposedly see with OLED.

Patrik has mentioned that an OLED and a LCD are the same technology; it is still a sample and hold and use a plastic screen which ruins PQ unlike Glass.

I heard the OLEDs look fake like an LCD unlike a Plasma with its natural imagery thank to the Kuro utilizing real RGB phosphorus that emits a natural glow to its colors unlike the artificial light that you supposedly see with OLED.

Patrik has mentioned that an OLED and a LCD are the same technology; it is still a sample and hold and use a plastic screen which ruins PQ unlike Glass.

You are hearing way too many wrong things.
Don't believe in Fake news.

I don't if anyone can refute this but here is a quote about why Plasma is supposedly the only tv that can generate such a natural and reference grade image.

*To make it easier to understand here is the Real reason Plasma tvs and KUROs looks more natural compared to todays tvs Plasma tvs have light that comes from glowing material while todays tvs have artificially created non glowing LED light.(thats the main reason) Reason why colors looks better on an Plasma tv is the same as when you compare the light from incandescent bulbs and LED lamps. Light from glowing material always renders colors better because the light spectrum covers a larger area of what we sees and it also have higher energy which gives colors an contrast boost. Only tvs that have light coming from glowing material can be classed as Reference tvs. No tvs today are black body emitters like CRT and Plasma tvs and therefore not reference. (it doesnt matter how close colors are to reference in the CIE chart its the light that is the problem) Todays LED light based tvs outputs what you can call compressed light and cuts like MP3 files important light and radiation/spectra energy. that gives colors an diffuse/flat look with light leak as whe see it."

Look a Kuro was an awesome TV. I know I had one, and if I could buy one today that support 4K I would. But you can't. So it is utterly pointless living in the past.

Since then I've had Samsung Plasma (couldn't buy a Pioneer anymore), and for the last three years an OLED from LG.

You really got to stop listening to youtubers who just generate clickbait videos which make them money ;) It is an unregulated sector and they just do stuff to get viewers. There is clearly no point in telling you that it is not true. So go out of your home, and go into a shop where the screens are setup properly. Have a look. You'll see it is not cartoonish.

Look a Kuro was an awesome TV. I know I had one, and if I could buy one today that support 4K I would. But you can't. So it is utterly pointless living in the past.

Since then I've had Samsung Plasma (couldn't buy a Pioneer anymore), and for the last three years an OLED from LG.

You really got to stop listening to youtubers who just generate clickbait videos which make them money ;) It is an unregulated sector and they just do stuff to get viewers. There is clearly no point in telling you that it is not true. So go out of your home, and go into a shop where the screens are setup properly. Have a look. You'll see it is not cartoonish.

I doubt that Patrik makes any money from getting clicks because you need a certain amount of subs. Besides his titles ain't really clickbait unlike a certain Samsung fanboy who claims to be a Pro Calibrator.

I doubt that Patrik makes any money from getting clicks because you need a certain amount of subs. Besides his titles ain't really clickbait unlike a certain Samsung fanboy who claims to be a Pro Calibrator.
Go buy a Kuro then ;) Oh wait you can’t.

Except you can but we were not talking about me wanting a kuro was we?
Not a new one. Nor one that supports 4K.

So why keep on bringing it into the conversation if you have no interest in one? Perhaps also take a look at some of the reviews on here from well respected people out of the industry utilising proper testing methodologies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom