1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to upgrade my (very) old DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amrypooins, Dec 6, 2004.

1. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having had my 32GA4E for a few days now I have mixed feelings about it, but I am fairly convinced its down to my set up.

I have a very old Toshiba 2109 (1998 I think was when i bought it) connected via SVideo. Some DVDs have fairly good results (Star Wars Trilogy, LOTR) and others look terrible- Buffy DVDs are the worst, especially the dark fight scenes, full of trails and motion blur and blocky resolution.

I have kind of convinced myself this is the crappy old DVD player and not the limitation of the LCD as my PQ from my Humax digi box via RGB scart is pretty damn good, and therefore I am resigning my self to having to buy a new DVD player. Am I barking up the right tree?

I was considering the Pioneer DV575 to be connected via component, but all this talk of the Denon 1910 via DVi has made think.
    Is the PQ difference with DVI over component worth the extra £100 in difference between the Denon and Pioneer?

Any suggestions?

2. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshie SD 2108 - an earlier model - and whilst it cannot play jpegs and MP# etc, it does play DVDs beautifully. The Buffy DVDs were pretty ordinary for the earlier series.

The toshie as I recall has component output? Also you should ensure that the unit is well away from any heat sources ie do not put on top of hot receivers as the DAC chips play up something awful when hot.

You should try the unit with another display for a check. Early Toshies worked best with CRT using the component. I suppose I will get a new one when this one dies although I purchased in 1998 it is still an excellent picture.