Is it time to replace my faithful Pioneer 606D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fuzzybee, Oct 9, 2003.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm after some advice, i have had my faithfull Pioneer 606D dvd player since sept 98 and feel it may be time to replace it.
    It's been a great multiregion player and has never let me down but now i'm the proud owner of a 42inch plamsa screen and feel the player may not be doing my screen justice.
    Would i see a marked improvement in performance if i upgraded to a new Pioneer or Toshiba model around the £300 - £400 mark with pal/ntsc prog scan ???

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ahh it's good to see another 606D user...

I imported my player when it became available and it has given me years of absolutely fault free service since the day I took delivery.
    I too keep thinking of getting an upgrade to a newer machine with all the bells and whistles but to be honest I would find it hard to retire it :(

I will hopefully be going down the projector route soon so I suppose that will finally force me to get a new player but it will have to be a very good machine (at a good price point) to replace the 606 on my shelf :smoke:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother has a 606D too, using it at the moment for dts films. Nowt wrong with it (the built-in DD decoder is rubbish though)- plays every single disc (except for Monsters Inc R1, later change causes it to crash) Only minor things is slow menu operation (usually Disney), does not have stop/continue feature, repeated chapter skips are not allowed, inferior ffwd to my Sony.

I can't see any picture quality difference from my early Sony 500D either (also a good player)

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine plays the R1 Monsters Inc. disc with no problems at all...

Regards,
    Iain.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    My brother still has mine.. never a days trouble.. and its got component out (i think) So I might nick it back for my LCD screen.

Matt

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yes it's got a component output on the back and mine also plays Monsters Inc without any trouble.
    I thought i was the only one still using this ancient player, to think it cost me £550 back in the early days of dvd.
    I may reconsider my options and keep the player a bit longer as i have said it's never let me down and it still looks good. The only thing that niggles me about it is the DTS sticker on the front. I think it was one of the first players to actually support DTS and pioneer just placed a DTS sticker on the front as an afterthought.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, I heard quite a few people have problems with R1 Monsters Inc (crashes at the layer change)- pretty sure not disc rot.

Oh I peeled the dts sticker off soon as we got it. :rotfl:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I havent seen a 606D running so cant comment on that but it would be worth a demo of a HK DVD25 espacially as Play are doing it for £250!!! or If DVD-S is your thing try a DVD 30
    Both PAL PROG