1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to replace my faithful Pioneer 606D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fuzzybee, Oct 9, 2003.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm after some advice, i have had my faithfull Pioneer 606D dvd player since sept 98 and feel it may be time to replace it.
    It's been a great multiregion player and has never let me down but now i'm the proud owner of a 42inch plamsa screen and feel the player may not be doing my screen justice.
    Would i see a marked improvement in performance if i upgraded to a new Pioneer or Toshiba model around the £300 - £400 mark with pal/ntsc prog scan ???

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ahh it's good to see another 606D user...

I imported my player when it became available and it has given me years of absolutely fault free service since the day I took delivery.
    I too keep thinking of getting an upgrade to a newer machine with all the bells and whistles but to be honest I would find it hard to retire it :(

I will hopefully be going down the projector route soon so I suppose that will finally force me to get a new player but it will have to be a very good machine (at a good price point) to replace the 606 on my shelf :smoke:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother has a 606D too, using it at the moment for dts films. Nowt wrong with it (the built-in DD decoder is rubbish though)- plays every single disc (except for Monsters Inc R1, later change causes it to crash) Only minor things is slow menu operation (usually Disney), does not have stop/continue feature, repeated chapter skips are not allowed, inferior ffwd to my Sony.

I can't see any picture quality difference from my early Sony 500D either (also a good player)

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine plays the R1 Monsters Inc. disc with no problems at all...

Regards,
    Iain.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    My brother still has mine.. never a days trouble.. and its got component out (i think) So I might nick it back for my LCD screen.

Matt

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yes it's got a component output on the back and mine also plays Monsters Inc without any trouble.
    I thought i was the only one still using this ancient player, to think it cost me £550 back in the early days of dvd.
    I may reconsider my options and keep the player a bit longer as i have said it's never let me down and it still looks good. The only thing that niggles me about it is the DTS sticker on the front. I think it was one of the first players to actually support DTS and pioneer just placed a DTS sticker on the front as an afterthought.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, I heard quite a few people have problems with R1 Monsters Inc (crashes at the layer change)- pretty sure not disc rot.

Oh I peeled the dts sticker off soon as we got it. :rotfl:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I havent seen a 606D running so cant comment on that but it would be worth a demo of a HK DVD25 espacially as Play are doing it for £250!!! or If DVD-S is your thing try a DVD 30
    Both PAL PROG