Is it time to finally ditch my plasma?

Recklessfun81

Novice Member
So I have a 2013 panny plasma that I bought brand new and I've loved it ever since.... Now with all this new stuff like HDR and FALD and of course oled I didn't know if it was finally time to upgrade.

Now I am a big gamer thats why I got the plasma in the first place. I do alot of streaming now too so a good up scaling TV would be great too. I could possibly stretch my budget to get a oled but for a grand less if the top led is close I'm all for that too. Like I heard alot of ppl saying one of the top choices is the Sony x900e. I would just like to get some opinions from you guys on what I should do. Looking for a 65in BTW.

JojoPetals2

You are close, but I would wait for the 2018 models. They should have HDMI 2.1 so you will be set for the future with 40Gbps throughput. Also, HDMI 2.1 will have AFR (Adaptive Frame Rate) for your TV like Freesync 2.0 for computer monitor. Also capable of [email protected] 4:4:4. Should be great for gamers and the Xbox Scorpio (Xbox One X) should support it. Plus QDCF LCD should start to become available with OLED like viewing angles and 2-3000 nits peak brightness.

SonOfSJ

@Recklessfun81 You haven't actually said what your budget is. Exactly what model Panasonic plasma have you?

bobbymax

I'm in the same position, but not a gamer.
I have a Pioneer 5090 which has been great and never let me down.
So I want to get up to date etc etc.
I have a budget of approx £850, plus what I'd get for my Pioneer?
I've looked at the myriad of TVs in Curries/PC world and can't decide o_O

SonOfSJ

I'm in the same position, but not a gamer.
I have a Pioneer 5090 which has been great and never let me down.
So I want to get up to date etc etc.
I have a budget of approx £850, plus what I'd get for my Pioneer?
I've looked at the myriad of TVs in Curries/PC world and can't decide o_O
@bobbymax I also have a Pioneer 5090, since 2009 in fact, which has been great and never let me down! In fact I will continue to have it until it falls over!
However, the 5090 lacks a Freeview HD tuner, and it doesn't have 3D - oops, no new TVs have 3D any more so that no longer counts! I'm not clear why precisely you want to get a new television - bigger screen, "smart" features (which I personally wouldn't use AT ALL, but they are indeed important to some people), lower electricity consumption? There are two things to bear in mind though. One, you won't get more than £250 for your existing 5090. So that takes your budget to £1,100. Two, looking at televisions around £1,100, none of them will be OLEDs, they will all be LED-lit LCDs and without Full Array Local Dimming, so be prepared for a major deterioration in black level and viewing angle compared to your still-great Pioneer plasma.

Are you sure that you don't want to buy a second-hand 65" or 64" Panasonic or Samsung plasma? That would have some smart features, and (particularly for the Panasonic plasmas) have black levels nearly as good as your Pioneer, and all plasmas have wide viewing angles. And they would have 3D, if that is important. Downside - they would suck even more electricity than your Pioneer!

bobbymax

Yes, I too would've kept it forever If I wasn't moving.
The house is a downgrade and a tad smaller.
I don't think the 5090 will sit well in it. Yes I realize I'll be taking a hit on the price, that's the way of the world right now.
So I made up my mind to get a slightly smaller one with Sonos Speakers, hence selling my Monitor Audios.:(
I do fancy the smart TV's though probably a 48 incher.
They are nice now with no bezel around them like the 5090
So I'll keep looking ;)