Is it time for a Sticky PS3 FAQ?

Xmax250

Established Member
Reaction score
Theres one thing thats sure to wind me up in this forum (and I speak only for myself here but I'm sure others will agree) - folks being too lazy to spend a few minutes reading through previous threads to find the answers to their questions.

We've had the same questions asked on the same topics over and over again (and dont get me started on the gazillion power supply threads!) all because some people cant be bothered to flick through previous threads.

So maybe its time to gather all the relevant threads together and put them in a sticky at the top of the forum? I'd be happy to author/edit the thread to keep it relevant. Topics could include:

- Where to buy from (Consoles, games and accessories)
- Compatibility (Games, DVD, BD etc)
- Technical stuff (the infernal power supply etc)
- Installing Linux
- The XMB
- Playstation Store

If we get enough info perhaps a Mod could sticky it for us? What do you say Mods? Is it worth us making the effort to compile a FAQ or do we have to continue to suffer seeing the same old questions pop up over and over again?! ;)

H

aye to that too, i've not even got my ps3 yet and i can answe most people's questions, it just the lazy people not bothering to search through the forums. def a sticky FAQ is needed to stop the numerous threads about the same things.

Yer thats what this place need:thumbsup:

I used to do that by posting loads of threads even though its a next thread.

To many people do it and gets in the way of other people problems that are a little more importnat than a fuse WHICH IS 3 or 5 AMP OKKKKKKKKKK:suicide:

Nice one - Do a sticky

Another one is how to setup a 20gig PS3 to wireless.....

I have my 20gig upgraded with a 100gig hard drive and on wireless now :thumbsup:

Ok, so lets address the power problem first then :)

Will my USA/JAP/Hong Kong PS3 work in the UK?

Yes it will! All you need to get hold of is the same type of power lead that will plug into the power supply in a desktop PC. This one from Maplins will do, just pick your colour and length:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=iec power lead&ModuleNo=1176&doy=18m12

Folks here have suggested that you should make sure your lead has no more than a 5 amp fuse in it (the Maplins lead above comes with a 5 amp fuse).

Feel free to correct me folks, I'll hunt for some more info.....

Another one is how to setup a 20gig PS3 to wireless.....

I have my 20gig upgraded with a 100gig hard drive and on wireless now :thumbsup:

FMA, have you come across any threads in this forum that relate to this? Post the link to the thread here and we'll use the relevant bits for the FAQ.

How To Connect a 20Gig PS3 to a Wireless Network

Things you will need

20Gig PS3
An Ehternet Cable....
Linksys Wireless-G-Game Adapter....
Some sort of Wireless Router

The linksys wireless game adapter is the best one for this job, usb apapters don't work with 20gig PS3 but this will.... A link is provided below for the adapter which you can get through PCWORLD

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826619&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Then connect as follows

PS3 - (Ethernet Cable) > Linksys Game Adapter (will convert signal in Wifi) > Wireless Router > Modem

***Linksys G Adapter doesn'r support WPA network security it supports WEP security..
***This works by connecting an ehternet cable (so the console believes there is a cable connection) to the Game Adpater which converts the signal to Wifi....

What leads do I need to get High Definition output from my PS3?

The PS3 doesnt come with any HD leads so you'll have to buy your own :(

The HD lead you need is dependent on the HD inputs on your television. Typical HD inputs are:

- HDMI
- Component
- DVI
- VGA

Since the PS3 has an HDMI port builtin you can use and HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable.

Gamespot UK have a very comprehensive FAQ on High Definition for the PS3 here:

(before I post the link can a Mod confirm if its OK to link to Gamespot please?)

I'm not an expert on HD output so maybe someone else could volunteer to flesh out this section of the FAQ?

Can I upgrade the Hard Drive in my PS3?

Yes you can and you wont believe how easy it is to do! Watch this Youtube clip to so how easy it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4GbkVJI9m4

What type of drive should I get?

Look for the following:

- 2.5inch drive
- Serial ATA-150 interface
- 5400 RPM spindle speed (you can go for a faster drive but this will make your PS3 warmer and possibly noiser!)

Insight have a 100GB Fujitsu drive that I used to upgrade my PS3 here (costs around £60):

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=FJGA04HX7

The only tool you'll need is a cross-head screwdriver!

Where can I buy (import) games from?

Check out this link for a list of suppliers who will import US/JAP PS3 games to the UK:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441621

Can I play PAL (UK/Europe) games on my US/JAP PS3?

There isnt a definitive answer to this at the moment - we'll just have to wait and see until the PS3 is released in Europe.

But you can play JAP games on your US PS3 and vice versa as region locking isnt being used by publishers at the moment but thats not to say that they wont region lock games in the future.

Can I play PAL (Europe) PS1 and PS2 games on my US/JAP PS3?

No.

PS1 and PS2 games are region locked and the PS3 knows this so wont let you play your UK PS1/PS2 games :(

Has anyone mentioned whether or not the PS3 is going to come in silver as originally advertised?

The unofficial word on the silver PS3 is that it was nothing more than a marketing ploy. There were stories about a silver PS3 being sold for $25,000 dollars but I'm inclined to think that Sony was doing some creative marketing there.

Opinions elsewhere suggest we may see different colours PS3s in about a year to 18 months. The bottom line now though is you cant get a silver PS3.

Can I connect my PSP to my PS3?

Yes. If you have a 20GB model you can connect the PSP via the USB cable that comes with your PS3.

You can connect the PSP wirelessly to a 60GB model.

What can I do when I connect my PSP to the PS3?

You can download games from the Playstation network from your PS3 directly onto teh memory stick on your PSP. There are already a few PS1 titles (available on the Playstation Store) than have been converted to work on the PSP - these downloads are not free and currently cost around $5 (US dollars) per download.

Can I upgrade the Hard Drive in my PS3?

Yes you can and you wont believe how easy it is to do! Watch this Youtube clip to so how easy it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4GbkVJI9m4

What type of drive should I get?

Look for the following:

- 2.5inch drive
- Serial ATA-150 interface
- 5400 RPM spindle speed (you can go for a faster drive but this will make your PS3 warmer and possibly noiser!)

Insight have a 100GB Fujitsu drive that I used to upgrade my PS3 here (costs around £60):

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=FJGA04HX7

The only tool you'll need is a cross-head screwdriver!

It's worth mentioning that the screws are very "tender" and most screwdrivers will destroy the head. It is worth having a range of cross headed screwdrivers with different bit sizes and angles of the tines and testing them all gently until the correct head size and tine angle is identified.

I had a very scary moment when i thought I'd trashed a PS3 hard drive caddy screw beyond repair and wasn't going to be able to get it out to use the new 120GB drive i'd bought. Luckily, finding a better shaped screwdriver head worked.

It's worth mentioning that the screws are very "tender" and most screwdrivers will destroy the head. It is worth having a range of cross headed screwdrivers with different bit sizes and angles of the tines and testing them all gently until the correct head size and tine angle is identified.

I had a very scary moment when i thought I'd trashed a PS3 hard drive caddy screw beyond repair and wasn't going to be able to get it out to use the new 120GB drive i'd bought. Luckily, finding a better shaped screwdriver head worked.

Thats actually a good point mate! The screws that hold the drive in the caddy are indeed very flimsy and require a delicate touch when taking them out. Definitely worth bearing in mind when doing this mod!!

Well, good news guys, the sticky has been given the green light :clap:

So, I'll start compiling a FAQ style sticky from the posts on here, but feel free to post any more in the meantime.

Can I play Blu-ray discs from other regions on my US/JAP PS3?

Blu-ray is region coded, check out the chart below (click on the thumbnail for a larger image) to see a breakdown of regions:

Can I play PAL DVD discs on my JAP PS3?

Yes but only via Linux, the PS3 OS will refuse to play them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom