Is it time for a processor ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by IWC Dopplel, Jun 29, 2019.

1. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Time to start a thread I think. I am about to bite the bullet and embark on a journey to invest in a processor. I have used analogue out, using the player to do the processing for 10+ years and although this solution seems a very poor alternative it wasn’t. When HD first came out my Denon 3800 and Naim AV2 combination was hard to beat it was streets ahead of the AV888 and other sub £5k units in 2009.
    I wasn’t hankering after anything other than more films

Fast forward to 4K and UHD options to retire my 3800 and alas there really isn’t anything. The oppo 205 was terrible and I settled on the Panasonic 9000. The best there is but no replacement for the 3800 on the audio.
    Seems I have to accept its time for a processor that uses HDMI in for good effect.

I am intending to spend some time with Richard of Seriously Cinema and explore a short list of options. I will be making up my 9 leads to connect to my Naim monoblocs. I do also want to include a few units that I’m not sure Richard supplies. My budget is open - to a point. I need to see value and don’t want to sit on a worthless legacy product that cost as much as Rolex watch in 5 years time.

The list includes

Trinnov altitude 16, Storm 32 analogue, Lyngdorf MP-50, Dataset (possibly)

At the more affordable end - Anthem AVM60, NAD M17 V2, Emotiva RMC1, Acurus Muse 16.

I will only run 5.2 or 7.2 for the next 2-3 years then I may well move house and then install ceiling speakers (not doable now as 1. We intend to move, 2. The house is terraced and Grade 1 listed)

So far I have casually observed The Bryston SP4, Focal 16 both storm based and to be honest not blown away at all. The Lyngdorf MP-50 and Anthem AVM-60, Emotiva RMC1 all showed real potential and impressed me. The Gecko set ups I heard at Robs were tremendous playing high volume film set ups.

Richard and I will be travelling around next month to see just what the best installations can deliver from Trinnov and a few others

If a £10-15k processor I can see giving me a lot of pleasure over the next 10 years I’m a buyer but only if they show a real tangible difference against something less than half the price.

I’m not wealthy, have lots of expensive passions and need to spend my money wisely. I can here my Father protesting at the thought of ‘blowing’ hard earned cash on one box, but I’d hope he’d understand if it breathes new life into an old system

I will need to be as objective as possible as this is all about enjoying film and not desiring more kit

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,228
    Emotiva are saying that the XMC-2 is near a launch date. I know we can take their launch announcements with nothing less than a pinch of salt but it could be worth considering.

3. RRRuss

RRRuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I really think the Marantz 8805 processor should be on your list at the value end of the market too. A lot of high end users in the US have been blown away by this model, so should certainly form part of a shortlist of this nature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I've never looked back since my recent purchase of the Anthem AVM60.
    I can safely say that my system now sounds light years ahead of my previous setup of Nakamichi pre pro.

When I listen to it all, in conjunction with the Anthem power amps, it strikes me that it is the first time that I have ever been truly happy with what comes out of my speakers.

It never fails to blow me away, and with ARC Genesis, it has both blended and tamed both my SVS 13 Ultras - which was something I'd always personally struggled to do. They sound deeper, more controlled & I now realise that I had never really gleaned their full potential up until now.

It, along with many options, is definately worth an audition.
    It's slick/intuitive to use as well - one day I will read the instruction manual - although I have not yet found the need ....

I'd say my listening comprises of 70% music / 30% movies.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  5. Owl40

Owl40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am interested in trying out the NAD m17 v2. The modular upgrade aspect of it is reassuring. Their older M series hifi integrated amps were excellent. Build quality seems great. To me diminishing returns beyond the £5k mark......

6. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    I have a nad for dirac, but if i had the cash anthem avm 60 would be in my rack.
    I appreciate youre looking at top of the range stuff, so if ok, will follow this thread.

7. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,228
    Why ?

8. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Because arc is the best thing ive ever heard in my room. With my speakers..dirac is a bit anemic..
    Wanna buy a nad?

9. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,228
    Not a chance but thanks for the offer ;)

10. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Was joking...

11. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,228
    Yeah I know :smashin:

They wouldn’t be on my shortest of short lists tbh.

I’d give the AVM60 a go though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Interesting feedback. I did here the Anthem AVM60 on two channel and I was impressed. My preference with music and film is to get the dynamics, scale and weight right. That palpable sense of realism right and the rest is icing on the cake, - detail, spacial positioning and steering, ambiance and so on.

I have listened to far too many 'high end' systems that offer an unrealistic audio microscope of the world that misses the point and far too often misses the fundamentals mentioned above. If the likes of the Trinnov really move the game on with that sense of realism and engagement, then I will bite the bullet and live happily ever after. For me it's all about getting as real as possible.

13. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,212
    Having heard most of the high end systems multiple times, you won't find anything as consistently good as the MP50. It's a complete no brained.

If you want to go a notch down from that probably the Anthem AVM60. None of these things will matter if your speakers aren't up to it. If you want a Trinnov then be prepared for a massive fiddle to get it sounding right as every demo I've heard of it varies from very good to very ordinary.

For a dirac based system, Storm would get my vote, I think I read the ACT4 has automated room correction now, so that would be worth a look in.

Nothing as yet to steal me as way from the MP50, except the Lyngfull Steinwaydorf systems.

edit: 'Lyngfull Steinwaydorf'? good job predictive text, bravo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  14. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I agree the cinema systems at Gecko running Lyngdorf and Steinway are tremendous. I am unsure how my speakers would compare to MK 300's, probably better than you might think. The naim 135 and classic Sonus Faber combination is very dynamic and weighty (something I find hard to forgive is systems that are lean and 'pinched' which is not uncommon with a lot of kit these days, I think they 'say' neutral- meaning 'boring'). If I was starting from scratch I'd be looking at MK amongst others

I am nervous about Trinnov, for me it took some considerable time before CA overtook a good CD transport into the same DAC. My impression of early CA was, good specially (width not necessarily depth), good resolution and clean in a good way, but somehow not very engaging. It was like listening to a good system through protective glass. I somehow observed everything rather then being drawn in. Seems most have said the same thing, heard them sound flat and unimpressive and heard them sound amazing !

Given the US pricing $17,000 for the Trinnov and $9,999 for the Lyngdorf I do feel the Lyngdorf is pricy in the UK.

15. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,871
    Make sure you get a demo in your room of multiple processors.

Everyone will have their opinion on what is the best one, but there isn’t a best one otherwise everyone would own one.

I personally don’t rate Dirac, in my room the marantz 8805 is a lot better than my Arcam 860 ever was.

I’d avoid the emotiva for at least another 12 months, they released an unfinished product that still has plenty of bugs.

16. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Good advice I intend to start with demos at dealers / manufacturers and then home demos before finalising I now have cable and connectors so soldering will start this weekend

17. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,835
    I will confirm dates for demos tomorrow. We have been waiting for the Trinnov dem rooms to be ready.

18. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,835
    We have the Lyngdorf MP50 and Anthem AVM60 on permanent demonstration.

[email protected]

19. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,088
    Very interesting thread, thanks for starting. Subscribed. :)

20. chiro81

chiro81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would go with Nad 758.
    DIRAC>>ARC>>Audyssey

21. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Not sure why I’d look at a reciever when I have 8 Naim monoblock power amps ?

22. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Just agreed the Trinnov room demo for the 8th hopefully

23. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,088
  24. chiro81

chiro81
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My point was the Dirac is better than ARC for room correction and ARC is better than Audyssey. Therefor a processor like the NAD that has DIRAC should be on the short list for OP

25. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
  26. IWC Dopplel

IWC Dopplel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Yes interesting item, it does seem that a number of more affordable more professional based units are coming out. I got everything ready for some cable assembly today but need the larger cable parts for my Neutrik plugs, so just ordered some. Hopefully the next few weeks will be listening to the Trinnov set up, and possibly have a listen again to the MP-50. I think I have removed the Emotiva from my list due to the bugs, although I did think it showed promise

I can borrow a NAD M17 V2 from Richer sounds if I want to. I hope to hear as much as I can without taking units home as the set up time will not be quick and easy. Then take home 2 units ideally for the final decision. I'll only be taking something like the Trinnov, dataset home if they are demonstrably better in demo. I think I'd like to try the Lyngdorf at home but might be an idea to A-B before if that is easier. On 2 channel the Anthem was to my ears in the same ballpark as the Lyngdorf so the differential was not there in the short demo I heard, but that was 2 channel and not multichannel.

27. Ringnut

Ringnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,088
    The NAD isn't a processor it's a receiver, it contains a processor. Not what the OP is looking for.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  28. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    Cheap way to get dirac though. But agreed not what the OP asked for

29. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341

Does the NAD have dts x yet? I know that earlier on this year it didn't. My entry level Marantz AVP had it about 3 years ago.

30. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    It does yes