Is it time for a new computer?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kazaam, Apr 4, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No (can be fixed)

50.0%
  1. kazaam

kazaam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a 6 year old desktop. Asus P7P55-LX, and has been running great but started acting up a few days ago, saying "reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", and just being slower to start up and freezing on start up.

So, yesterday, it became erratic and the issue has not resolved. What it is doing is randomly rearranging the boot priority (battery is fine), and will not detect the hard drives on some start ups, and other it does. It also refuses to recognise the other hard drives sometimes, 2 of which are new SSDs, and the other is a barracuda just bought recently. Sometimes it says sata port 4 error. The HDs work fine with the external HD dock connected to my laptop so the hard drives are fine and I have tried swithcing cables. I've tried disconnecting all the sata ports and leaving only the SSD with windows to boot from, and it doesn't work. Well it will boot windows maybe 10% of the time.

Is it time for a new desktop? I've never had such a problem before, I've always managed to troubleshoot and sort it but this time it's a pain.

I use my laptop but my dad uses the desktop, and relies on me to fix it when things go wrong. I have my finals for med school coming up so this is annoying me. Any help would be appreciated. If you've read this far, good on you I appreciate it.

Some parts are new such as the AX760i PSU and a new Nvidia GPU my brother had me put in several months ago for gaming so I am wondering if I should invest in a new mobo and CPU and recycle the 'old' parts because they're pretty new.

Look forward to your input

2. redmonde

redmonde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to check your motherboard and RAM. Maybe one of them is the problem.

3. kazaam

kazaam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks. How do I do that? Or do you have a link to a resource?