Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is it this simple?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by smallman28, Feb 19, 2003.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was planning on getting a camcorder with a DV output (dont know which model yet).
    Is it simply a case of getting a firewire card to put in the PC to connect the camcorder to and getting some software to enable capture and to edit the footage.
    It is not the best solution but would probably be creating SVCD in the end to play on a DVD player.
    The PC I have at the moment is only a 1Ghz Athlon with 512MB RAM,is this enough power given that I woulld only be creating discs of 10 minutes or so at a time?

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically yes it is that simple, but like all things to do with computers and electronics there are many silly little things that can go wrong along the way, but they are usually sortable with a little help. I produce VCD's on my PC and would say that although they are not as good as a DVD they are an equal for the VHS tapes I used to produce. You could of course invest in a DVD burner if you wanted a better image or for absolute maximum picture quality make sure your new camera is capable of DVin as well as out and you can then record DV back to your camera and play from there to your TV. Your basic computer spec is propably adequate but a higher speed processor would improve time processing your films. The only thing you didn't mention was the size of your hard disc, be aware that video files can become very big and can rapidly fill a hard disk.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    As Beejaycee mentioned you will need a LOT of disk space.
    You mention 10 minute SVCD's. Well to capture 10 minutes from your camera in DV format via firewire will take up around 2.5Gb of space :eek: and this does not include extra space needed for editing and trimming of unwanted frames etc.
    It is also recommended to have a separate disk that is only used for video capture and has no programmes intalled on it.

Good luck
    Mark.