1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the projector or the bulb?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pete Delaney, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

My Z1 has developed a fault, the unit is about 6 weeks old. The last 3 dvds I have watched have been spoiled due to an intermittent metallic/tinny buzzing sound. Usually the pj is fine for the first 20 mins or so and then it starts........'meep'.......'meeeeeeeep'........'meeep' etc! It's definately coming from inside the unit...perhaps it's a fan bearing? The sound has a 'resonance' quality about it(as if 2 metal objects were vibrating against each other). Has anyone got any ideas? Obviously I shall return the unit while the bulb is under warranty as it may even be the bulb? I just don't know:(

Any ideas what this may be? The noise is not very loud but it is distracting and annoying...

TIA
    Pete...

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Guesses at a choke/coil in the lamp driver circuitry.

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Nigel,

I wish I knew what that meant though?

And there was me thinking it was the flux capacitor or the quantum hydro drive.;)

Edit: Did I say 'hydro'? I meant 'hyper', everyone knows there's no such thing as a quantum hydro drive....:rolleyes:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    High Pressure discharge lamps (as in the projector) require starting and running circuitry - rather like fluorescent tubes do. Ever looked inside a fluorescent fitting?

Anyhow, this is the lamp driver. Lamp drivers usually contain one or more small transformers or chokes (similar). These are wound up coils of wire. If the windings are a bit loose, they make a mechanical chatter.

Solution is to replace either the substandard component or the lamp driver board complete.

IF that's where the noise is coming from.

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Nigel,

That sounds like a strong possibility....The sound is definately inside the pj, and that's all I know for sure. But the term 'chatter' is definately one word which describes in my mind the randomness of the noise. It's fine for a while then the 'meep.....meeeeep...meeeeeeeeep....meep' chatter starts for a while then stops. Again it's all completely random. I shall give the shop a ring now (been lazing in my pit, post friday night thing).
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, you sure know your stuff:smoke:

EDIT: sods law strikes again......it's closed at the weekend...:rolleyes: