1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the game or is it me...?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Faust, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As you some of you may know, I managed to upset a number of members on the Plasma forum by indicating I thought computer games were childish. However, never let it be said that I have a closed mind and am not willing to try something new. With this in mind my neighbours lad brought round Colin McRae Rally 2.0 for PC last night. I already had a joystick Saitek ST330 Rumble Force – I know nothing about this joystick other than it came with my PC so have no idea whether it is good bad or indifferent. However, I do know that after loading the game and trying it out for an hour I was absolutely drained and ended up with a banging headache. I simply cannot go beyond 15 miles an hour without slewing off the course, and even then it is difficult to keep the car in a straight line (we are talking Novice Level here). Is this usual, or do you think the problem lies with either me or the joystick. There appears to be no feel with the joystick and the slightest touch makes the car lurch violently. Or is it as someone else suggested, that these games are better played on a dedicated console i.e. PS2 or Xbox along with a dedicated controller. I’m not minded to pay out a £100 simply to find out, but would like to know simply out of curiosity, as after last night my stress levels must have been through the roof.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I think for driving games you really do need a normal control pad to give you any chance.
    Analogue control sticks or digital buttons give you a more precise control on the PS2 for example.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Does this mean a control pad similar to PS2 or Xbox but for PC..?

4. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well, consoles do have the advantage of coming with analogue controllers as standard. But that doesn't mean you can't get similar controllers for the PC. I have a Saitek P2500 RUMBLE controller that features dual-sticks and a vibration mode (ooh err, missus...) The quality is pretty good, but I have found it tricky to set up with some games... I also have a proper force-feedback steering wheel that is quite an experience to use; but I haven't used it in years because it needs quite a bit of space and a suitable table-top on which to mount it (ooh err, missus, again....) Also, while I don't really think of computer games as being a "childish" pursuit these days, I must admit to feeling just a little bit silly sitting in front of a toy steering wheel!

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Yes mate, I used to have a simple paddle style controller for playing a Rally game on the PC years ago and it worked very well indeed.

Cheers, Mylo