1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the end of Svs as we know it?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pollywoggle, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Apologies if this has already been covered and if I have the wrong end of the stick, but I just looked at the news section in the svs site and see that they are going to be selling through dealerships.
    It appears that they are starting in Scandinavia with a gradual rollout to other countries including the UK. When that happens you will have to purchase your sub from the dealer and not import it directly.
    Now this may be good news or bad news, ideal for those who want a hands on demo etc and do not feel confident about importing themselves, but what is going to happen to the price?
    I can't help wondering if they will be such a bargain when the middleman's cut has been factored in?

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,297
    I had heard this was comming after Ron S had mentioned something a few weeks ago on an american forum that European distributors were being lined up.

If the usual rule of $1=£1 ratio for imported items applies, your 20-39PC+ is gonna cost around £825 which is around £175 more than currently importing from the US.

More to the point what will happen to the warranties held by current US imported models,will the UK distributor be handling any claims or will these still be dealt with by SVS US direct.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good news for SVS as it will hit alot more potential customers but it will definitly push the prices up :(

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's what I thought when I saw the news. It also limits the models that are available to the UK and Europe.

I've had the same conversation with Mark Schifter from Onix before pointing out that having a European distributor doesn't save us UK bods any money and the unit still has to ship over water to us from the mainland (he was thinking of a single depot I think).

Time will tell though, with the introduction of the SV Speakers line it will certainly be good for them and give them a foothold and of course that's what business is all about. :)

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'll paint my coke can and sell it to you at the old SVS prices if you want. Performance will be the same. :laugh:

6. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The small pricejump is valid. Service costs. One can always subs that cost more and offer less.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mabe all the pb12-ultra2 wannabes (me included) should get in now while we still can!
    Don't think the other half will wear it tho.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Still excellent value though at that price and I would expect that once the UK distributor has sent subs into the AV mags to be reviewed they will be selling like hot cakes and our exclusivity will be a thing of the past.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean we will see the InFamous "What HiFi" review some SVS subs soon :eek:

10. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yep, and it will get 5 stars but they still prefer the Rel :devil:

11. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Very selfishly, I don't want SVS to reach UK dealers.

I like the fact I had to peronally import my PC Ultra.
    I like the fact that nobody I know has seen or heard anything like it.
    I like the fact that nobody I know could do a 'copycat' purchase without my help (or authorisation :devil: ).

If it reaches UK dealers, owning one will no longer feel special.

As regards the price, I think they'd still be a huge bargain.
    I guess I can take some comfort from the fact that I bought mine when the $ was almost at its weakest, and I got what I consider to be the bargain of the century....£790 for my PC Ultra including delivery to my door, duty, VAT and handling charges. :clap:

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Before I have a proper temper tantrum what is the present price to the door of a PB10-ISD in the UK? :blush:

Nimby

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    These days I think it's just under £400. :)

14. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nimby -

Considerably heavier I know, but "to the door" delivery for my PB12 Ultra was $235. And it's still not here :mad:

SVS to airport for the same item was $100 less, but the courier put the frighteners on saying that most of that $100 was brokers fees etc and that if I picked it up from the airport I'd only be saving about £15.

As it weighs 11 stone in its box, I figured that £15 was well worth it. But they are now telling me that I will have to give the driver a lift in with the box as they do not send out tail lift lorries :eek: Questions will definately be asked once this gets here, as I've been less than impressed by the importers.

Apparantly it should arrive tomorrow. It's been on UK soil since last Thursday, so I'm getting a little twitchy now.

Gary

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Okay, thanks EJ.

Breaking it down very roughly at 11:1 exchange rate we are looking at £450 now but rising to £480 after September deadline. PLUS delivery charges in Norway. :rolleyes:

They are quoting import charges, freight and import taxes for other Scandinavian countries and also mention fixed base prices in each Scandinavian country. Well that's really transparent! "Think of a number, double it and add the first number you thought of?" :rolleyes:

These importers are quoting ex-VAT as if there was any legal way of avoiding 25% VAT. This has been a pet hate of mine for years since nobody can avoid paying it. This method of pricing always smacks of very dodgy business practices as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:

Where are the local dealers where one will demo the infamous (but world's greatest secret) SVS subs which will warrant these increased prices? :rolleyes:

I was actually considering a second cyclinder to increase my headroom and lower distortion. Why do "not touching" and "bargepole" spring to mind here? :rolleyes:

Time to erase my SVS=Music website and quickly! I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was recommending this L-Sound in any way, shape or form, even by association. Not that anybody ever looked at it. :rolleyes:

Another bubble bursts! :rolleyes:

Goodnight! :mad:

Nimby

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I was under the impression from the website that we wouldn't be looking at dealers anyway - just distributors in the same way as BK don't have a dealer network but distribute their goods around the UK (and world ;) ).

I think that the arms-up-in-panic mentality being shown on the forums is a little premature as we can't be sure exactly what impact these distributors will have and we're often told that these subs compare well to models several times their price so it should still be a bargain even with an extra ton on the price but less worry about the air travel. :)

17. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It was still nice the way things were though, being able to email and get a reply from the designer, the whole way that svs operated was a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of what we have to put up with in this country. I am not saying that things will neccesarily be worse but they will certainly be different.
    I remember telling friends that I was importing a large loudspeaker from America and they thought that I was both MAD and BRAVE. I had to reassure them that Svs are just a bit unusual with the way that they do things. I wish them every success as they expand as they have certainly put a smile on my face with the two subs I own :smashin:

18. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Man, looks like if I need a sub upgrade later, it won't be an SVS if the prices rise :( I know the prices will probably still be good pound for pound against rivals, but knowing the bargains available "back in the day" will throw me right off

19. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Maybe richer sounds might get hold of them...... :eek:
    And then the price might just go down, like the paradigum range did..... :D

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Blimey - You're worse than my mother and she's a shocker for exaggeration. This "arms up in panic mentality" of yours actually consists of one serious complaint and he's not a UK buyer anyway.

This move has been on the card for ages and it was reported here a few weeks ago that SVS were about to appoint a distributor in Germany. The writing must have been on the wall then but no-one seemed bothered. Equally it doesn't seem to have ocurred to anyone that if the company are appointing European distributors that they must have had the subs CE certified which has been a cause for concern for at least one person :rotfl:

Why not wait and see what happens instead of predicting doom and gloom that may not happen. Most of the comments so far have come from existing SVS owners and it is they who will benefit most if the prices do increase as much as the doom mongers are predicting as immediately the second hand values of our existing subs will rise.

21. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When I first got the wind of this some months ago my reaction was exactly the same; panic! :)

But when the norwegian distributor got up and running, I could see that the prices went up with about 2%, from the 5300DKK i payed when I imported it myself, to 5400DKK.

And once the swedes did the math using proper numbers, they to found out that prices went up from about 2-4%

Now I to would have liked to see things stay the way they were, but if I think about it, it wasn't realistic that SVS could grow, and still keep the same business model as today.

I do compare it to the time when Nirvana got their video played on MTV, and became a top selling band. It didn't make them any less of a band, but more people got to know them. Let's just hope that the similarities ends there :)

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atleast people will now probably be able to get demos of SVS subs if dealers start selling them :)

23. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hungry Horace

You seem very well informed. Norway is not in the EU but bound by the EEA agrement. How does this affect taxation on products purchased across Norwegian/Scandinavian borders? Is the 4.5% EU import tax and EU Vat payable?

Nimby

24. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    On the upside this should eventually make more svs subs available in the second hand market.

25. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's not mine, and anyway - I never exaggerate. :D

26. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nimby: All the other scandinavian countries are within the EU and the customers have to pay the 4.5% import tax, and local VAT. But to ease the process (I guess) Lsound does all the work for you, so you just have to order the sub, pay, and wait for it to arrive at your doorstep. Lsound will handle all business with the authorities.

So that's one more on the positive side if you ask me.

But the main thing if you ask me is that this will allow SVS to reach more customers, and therefore grow as a company. I'm hoping that this will result in more, and even better products for us customers. As long as SVS don't lose the focus on price/performance and service I'm pretty sure that this will only be a good thing.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tom and Ron are a pair of switched on businessmen who have built a highly successful business up on the core values of tremendous value for money plus superb customer focussed service and they aren't daft enough to throw away all of that goodwill by appointing distributors who don't believe in the same values.

28. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not worried either :)

29. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    For my closing comment on this thread I would hope for far greater transparency on the actual cost of buying an SVS from L-Sound.

The total price should be reflected on the website. Nothing less will allow a fair comparison with what is on offer elsewhere in the high street. Note that I make no performance comparisons.

Quoting a price ex-VAT (25% locally), ex-unknown delivery charges, ex-4.5% import charges and unexplained "export charges from Norway" is simply not good enough for a "local" distributor supplying Scandinavia.

Other subwoofer manufacturers supply the world via local distributors and the local price is always clearly stated whether you like their price or not. Why not here?

Nimby

30. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I recon that transparency will indeed happen.

If I'm reading this right, LSound are only the dealer for Scandinavia.

Once they add a dealer for the UK, I will bet that you'll have a price in pounds for the product and a price for the delivery. The UK market demands that kind of transparancy, and the dealer will not achieve maximum sales unless they give a very simple pricing structure.

Until the day that a UK dealer starts up, us lot in Blighty can carry on ordering from the States. Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Yet another hidden charge I encountered which couldn't be blamed on the taxman. I paid using my credit card (I'm guessing I'm not alone there). My credit card charged me a 2.5% 'currency conversion fee' for the pleasure of a doller transaction. As this was applied to the whole cost I paid SVS, it added about another £30.

By the time you've taken this, all the other 'grey area' charges that the importers seem to make up as they go along and the scary postage into consideration, I recon the UK dealer will be able to make a decent go of it without putting silly money on the prices. At the moment, they can get a fair margin out of the exchange rate.

The more worrying aspect for the European market is the severely reduced catalogue. Hopefully, this will be remedied because otherwise there will be no way of buying the sub I've just received in the UK. And my first impressions are that it's a shame to deny this product to the consumer :)

Basically, mine finally turned up yesterday :clap:

Looks like I've got a room spike at 50Hz so big that you can hang your coat off it :eek: I'll try and sort myself out, but suspect I'll be calling on everyone for words of wisdom.

Gary