Is it the aerial?

Stella'd

Standard Member
Reaction score
My parents have recently bought a budget freeview box.
The problem is ITV has no sound, but great picture and channel 5 isn't even picked up on a search ?
They are using their original aerial, all other channels seem fine. Will upgrading the aerial to a wideband one sort the problem ?
Thanks.

In most areas you will need a wideband aerial to receive digital terrestrial transmissions. The digital signal is broadcast on different frequencies to the analogue signal. Depending on how far away from the analogue your digital signal is will determine whether or not you need to upgrade to a wide band aerial.

As already stated you will usually need a wideband aerial but it might also be worth putting your postcode into http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html, which is the detailed checker and tells you what channels you could expect to receive. I can only get a few of the more obscure ones and no mainstream ones.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html shows that Channel 5 is on Multiplex A which also includes Radio 1 to 4 for example. Can you get these channels?

Aerial is most obvious, but need to exclude the fact that they may not be on your transmitter first, before spending money.

Wackojacko32

Hi

""""Yesterday on ITV we had no sound on looking at the status stuff on the Daewoo it showed that Unknown language was used. Pressing the audio button had no effect and powering down the box had no effect either. Has any one recieving from Angus had this problem with their Daewoo

Thanks Fife""""

I have just copied this from a different forum, (Digital spy)

Nigel

Stella'd said:
My parents have recently bought a budget freeview box.
The problem is ITV has no sound, but great picture and channel 5 isn't even picked up on a search ?
They are using their original aerial, all other channels seem fine. Will upgrading the aerial to a wideband one sort the problem ?
Thanks.
Are the other ITV channels ok? Do you know what group your aerial is and which transmitter you are receiving from?

Thanks for your replies.
I've checked their postcode at the link supplied by Wackojacko and they have 2 transmitters serving their area, both say they should receive these channels.

I will get them to check the others on Multiplex A.

I think it must either be a faulty freeview box or the aerial just isn't up to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom