Is it still worthwhile buying Xbox 360 Hd drive

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by stewart28, Jan 10, 2008.

1. stewart28

stewart28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am considering purchasing the hd drive form my xbox.

In light of recent events surrounding the next format wars should i really still do this or trade in my xbox 360 and get a ps3

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,120
    Depends on what you want, if you are wanting it mainly for movie viewing then a PS3 is a much safer bet as Blu Ray looks like it will win out.

If you want a games machine then the 360 is more than adequate.

Given the HD Drive costs around 100 quid, why not save up a bit more and have both?

TBH I can't tell that much difference between SD and HD in terms of DVD. It is not like going from VHS to DVD.

3. stewart28

stewart28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i mainly would want to use my console for both. but really prefer the xbox to the ps3.

Was maily concerned about buying the hd drive and then them stopping making hd dvd's.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    I hate to say it but given the momentum of things it's a real possibility although not in the short term. I would wait a while and you probably will be able to pick it up a lot cheaply then they are at the moment.

5. kevin_irl

kevin_irl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Dont bother. Unless you really really like the movies out on hd dvd atm! Save your money and buy a 40gb ps3!

6. MChatterley

MChatterley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I wouldn't bother matey, I've just sold mine with 10 movies to get a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

There are some great films on HD-DVD but there simply arn't enough of them to justify buying one. The release schedule sucks aswell, its a tiny trickle of movies compared to the Blu-Ray one which near all major movie companies are supporting now.

Shame really as the functionality of HD is far superior to that of Blu-Ray.

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Either way it seems the Toshiba HD-DVD players are seeing massive price drops(bringing some of them down to a similar price to the 360 add-on) so in my mind if you are still thinking about purchasing it would be a better option to pick up one of those as a stand-alone. But then I prefer to give my console a break when it's not being used for playing games.

8. Hkem

Hkem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's nice to have the 2 drives though. Call me lazy, but I like to leave a game in the 360 and have the HD-DVD drive as my DVD player.

9. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I was going to buy a new one but now thinking of getting a second hand one instead but I think it could end up being a waste of money because it seems that Sony/blu-ray have won this one and the HD-DVD films might be around for much longer.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Prices are dropping for brand new HD DVD players so make sure you take that into account when buying second hand. Toshiba have officially dropped prices in the US although I don't think the same has happened over here (yet!)

11. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,533
    To be honest, I would get a standalone HD DVD player and forget the Xbox add on. I've put up with it for 12 months, and it is both glitchy and noisey:thumbsdow
    At the time it represented good value for money (£120 against £300 for a standalone player), but I picked up the EP30 from Tesco on Sunday for £179.97 with 7 free HD DVDs (2 in the box, 5 by mail redemption. I also got £12 worth of club points. That made the player only £168 with 7 discs - Bargain!:thumbsup:
    I have a PS3 for Blu Ray, which is cool because it runs like a dream and keeps the noise to a minimum. However, if you still want the Xbox add you can have mine, boxed for £50:)

12. Haggler

Haggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Unbelievably lazy, but it's nice to give the 360 main drive a rest eh? :rolleyes:

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I'd trade and get a PS3 personally as the 360 isn't much cop as a movie player. I've got the HDDVD player and about 7 HDDVDs but the 360 is just too noisy really.

If you must get a HDDVD player then wait for the Toshiba price drops that should be coming and get a proper player. Otherwise i'd get the PS3, buy Blu Rays and anything which is HDDVD exclusive, just get the DVD and upscale it via the PS3 (something which it does very well). :)

14. stewart28

stewart28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

I am still unable to decide what to do; I really love my 360 and have just started playing COD4 online.

Played my nephews PS3 and I for one thing don't like the controller, it doesn’t make you feel like you have bought something that will last.

Think I am going to stick with the 360 at the moment and see how everything pans out.