Is it still £10 extra for another HD sub in another room?

Noted

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have Sky not changed this yet?

I find it an outrage that you have to pay an extra £10 a month for another HD sub in another room even if you're paying £10 extra for multiroom.

So if you want HD in another room its £20 extra per month. Ridiculous..

Got my HD installed this morning. Already had Sky+ in two rooms.

When I called up to check the new monthly cost, the guy confirmed that I pay £10 for the HD, and another £10 for the "new" multiroom. I asked him about getting another HD box, and he confirmed it'd cost another £10 HD, and £10 multiroom (unless I replaced an existing SKY+ box with a new HD, in which case it's just the £10 HD). I argued with him, but was told, more or less, tough!

:thumbsdow

So hang on.

At the moment I have Sky HD in the living room and Sky+ in the bedroom

I pay right now for Sky sub + HD sub + Multiroom

Are you saying its free to upgrade the Sky+ to HD

or would it be:

Sky sub + 2x HD sub + Multiroom?

So hang on.

At the moment I have Sky HD in the living room and Sky+ in the bedroom

I pay right now for Sky sub + HD sub + Multiroom

Are you saying its free to upgrade the Sky+ to HD

Sky+ is now included in HD.
(so you get Sky+ with HD even if you don't subscribe to premium packages)

HD is in addition to multiroom.
or would it be:

Sky sub + 2x HD sub + Multiroom?

Yes.

Sky have to be losing out on this. Is nobody there looking into rectifying this nonsense?

I would seriously consider buying a second HD box if not for the outrageous double HD charge.

The £10 multiroom charge is fair and reasonable.

The second HD sub is a rip off.

Even Sky have to see that this will deter HD multiroom take up. So why are they sticking to their guns on this?

why are they sticking to their guns on this?

They claim it is to subsidise the cost of the box they are supplying at a discount. If you have 2 boxes, then they have 2 subsidies to cover.

However, like most Sky subscriptions they never end. So you continue to pay the "subsidy" for ever. :thumbsdow

Must be a very big discount Sky are giving us if it takes that long to cover it :rolleyes:

It does start ramping the costs up when you want multiroom HD :(

I was told that each £10 HD sub covers just that - the HD channels on one box and isn't to subsidised the box at all. Pretty much run like the movies package where you pay a monthly subscription to gain additional channels.

The multiroom sub is a nominal charge to allow you to replicate the SD channel package ONLY on another box.

So the way they see it if you want HD on two boxes is that they treat it as two separate installs, the 1st you are paying full whack for SD channels and £10 HD, the 2nd is a reduced cost for SD channels of £10 and the £10 HD charge for that box too. They see it as still saving you money over having to fork out for two individual installs :rotfl:

I just cheat as I used both HD outputs on the one SkyHD box piped to both rooms as chances of needing to watch two different channels at the same time is remote and if it does happen then I have a std sky box in the 2nd room so that one of us can at least watch another channel albeit only in SD upscaled by the projector to 720p.

Don't forget if you don't want to pay the £10 HD sub on your second box you can still get a HD box from ebay or somewhere (£150+) transfer your sky digi card to this box. You will still get the same as your old sky + box but you'll get BBC HD for free. This is very handy as there have been a few footy matches on recently and the mrs likes Hotel Babylon. You can also sell your sky + box on ebay and get £50ish back to offset the cost.

Hopefully when SKY drop the £10 or you don't mind paying the £10 you are already prepared with your new SKY HD box.

Other ideas with HD multiroom, you can plug your main TV into your hd box using a component cable (still excellent picture) and buy a long HDMI cable which you can plug into the 1 HDMI slot in the SKY hd box and route to your other TV if possible. That way you pay only 1 HD sub but get HD in both rooms (you'll have to watch the same channel but still useful)

Just some thoughts but the easy option is Yes pay 2 x £10 HD subs!

I have a quad lnb and am planning to run the other two feeds to the bedroom and buy another sky hd box, then swap my card between rooms depending on which room I in. Will this work or will the card be "tied" to the one box. :confused:

I have a quad lnb and am planning to run the other two feeds to the bedroom and buy another sky hd box, then swap my card between rooms depending on which room I in. Will this work or will the card be "tied" to the one box. :confused:

Card is tied to the box I'm afraid

No more of a con than any other supplier who lock you down to installing/running their software on one machine.

Card is tied to the box I'm afraid

Whilst you cannot get premium channels (movies and sport), if you put the card in another box it will show you the regular channels you have in your sub.

Not sure if that applies to HD boxes, as I don't have 2 to try, but if so then at least you would get Sky One HD, artsworld HD, NG HD, Disco HD, history HD.

Anyone tried that?

Whilst you cannot get premium channels (movies and sport), if you put the card in another box it will show you the regular channels you have in your sub.

Not sure if that applies to HD boxes, as I don't have 2 to try, but if so then at least you would get Sky One HD, artsworld HD, NG HD, Disco HD, history HD.

Anyone tried that?

Yes double checked swapped my main card for with the one for the box upstairs and you do get Sky One HD, artsworld HD, NG HD, Disco HD, history HD (movies and sports do say the wrong card part).

Just to get this straight,please.

If you have an HD ready TV in the multiroom room and at present a Sky + box you could replace this with a Sky HD box and not pay the extra £10 pm to get HD mirror channels in there. But by simply temporarily swapping your card from the main HD box into the multiroom (new) HD box this would enable all channels bar the movies and sport?

If that is the case then it is certainly some good news but it also makes the Sky policy of an extra £10 HD sub on top of the £10 multiroom even less justifiable. Because it makes that extra £10 only an issue if you take out the top package. Those paying for HD without movies or sports would get all the channels mirrored this way without any need to pay Sky extra, but those who already DO pay Sky the top whack get a less good deal.

This makes the second £10 HD sub even more absurd and surely totally justifies the need for Sky to think this through.

Just to get this straight,please.

If you have an HD ready TV in the multiroom room and at present a Sky + box you could replace this with a Sky HD box and not pay the extra £10 pm to get HD mirror channels in there. But by simply temporarily swapping your card from the main HD box into the multiroom (new) HD box this would enable all channels bar the movies and sport?

If that is the case then it is certainly some good news but it also makes the Sky policy of an extra £10 HD sub on top of the £10 multiroom even less justifiable. Because it makes that extra £10 only an issue if you take out the top package. Those paying for HD without movies or sports would get all the channels mirrored this way without any need to pay Sky extra, but those who already DO pay Sky the top whack get a less good deal.

This makes the second £10 HD sub even more absurd and surely totally justifies the need for Sky to think this through.

Yes,

The only things you don't see are movies and sports, sky+ facilities work in the second box (with the first boxes card) as you say it penalises movies & sports subscribers but's whats new.

No more of a con than any other supplier who lock you down to installing/running their software on one machine.

I don't agree with that, I would still only have it on one machine, just in the bedroom, the lounge would not give me my package with no card in it. I am perfectly able to deinstall software on my PC then install/licence on another for usage.

I am not saying that I want both at the same time.. just to be able to move my usage which in my mind I should be able to do...

Fair enough.

Problem is how Sky can implement this and at the same time ensure they are not getting ripped off.

Currently the card is locked to a box so that it can be x-ref and say what package you subsrribe too and to lock down any premium content on the box. They can't do this based on just the card alone as you could share it with a mate and go halves on the monthly cost.

Yes its a pain to those that genuinely want to have two boxes in their house and swap between the two, never watching two different HD channels at the same time but I still don't see it as being a rip off when two HD subs would give you the extra ability to record/view 4 HD progs at the same time.

Surely if you were to share it between two mates, the same applies, only 1 mate can benefit from the channels so sky are not losing out, the subscription is not being used for the benefit of "two" at the same time, only 1 person can record the programme.

However due to repeats, they can have the card back and wait for it to come on again, which wouldn't be too long! :)

A difficult one, but perhaps sky can tie it to the home phone number or something, if the boxes are both plugged in at the same time..

Sorry didn't explain it very well.

If it isn't tied to the box you and your mate could both have a SkyHD box, record lots of anytime/movies/sport in fact quite abit a sky repeats...ALOT :D etc to tied you over for the week/month between swapping the card between you.

Therefore both boxes could be in use at the same time.

Indeed. I would quite happily have two HD boxes if in return I could watch my full subscription (Skyworld+HD) with that card on one box at a time. I.e. I don't really need/want multiview (which is what we currently have with existing multiroom being able to watch different channels in different rooms simlutaneously) I wan't multilocation (single card transferable between boxes in the same house)

Guess the problem comes down to the only way the can check is via fixed phone line and they aren't always reliable. Hence if that goes down and they aren't tieing the card to just one box how can they tell the card is still in the same house? Difficult isn't it and something I can't see being resolved anytime :(

Or if they could revise the SkyHD box to output two channels, one each to HDMI and Component and in return I still pay the multiroom charge then that would do me fine as it would give Full Skyworld and HD to both rooms :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom