1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it safe!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by neilneil, Jul 22, 2002.

1. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok, I've just had new carpets fitted and the installer said "I am not allowed by law to place electrical cables INCLUDING speaker cables underneath a flamable carpet." He also recommended that I DO NOT lift the carpets after and place them back myself because if my house burns down then the insurance company can declare my insurance void because the cables were laid under the carpets!
    From recent experience I know that insurance companys will try to wriggle out of a claim if they can. The big reason you take out home insurance is to cover you if the worst happens, if they're gonna claim it void then it's not worth having is it?

Has anyone else heard this about placing speaker wires under carpets and what are your views?

-Neil

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    New one on me. Why do Ixos make a self adhesive flat cable to go under carpets if it's illegal.

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi and thanks this is very interesting if scary point.
    I myself have never questioned my insurers but you can be sure i will be doing now.
    I guess that the best way to resolve this is to get an agreement with your insurers and ask them to confirm it in writing.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For electrical cables I could understand that argument, but for speaker cables?

Never heard that a speaker cable ignited a fire ...

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Doubt the speaker cable would go up in flames. The problem is more likely that the amplifier it is attached to, when shorted on its outputs, would go up in flames..I've seen this many times....It's pretty scary the first time!

We have never been advised by our professional indemnity insurers that this could result in such a claim though.

Gordon

6. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It does depend on the amplifier in question.

An amusing tale I heard was when a reviewer had some Quad electrostatic loudspeakers on test. Apparantly, the electronics in the speaker would decide if the speaker was in danger of overload and, if so short circuit the amplifiers output :eek:
    Most amplifiers would give up and either trigger their own output protection circuitry or go up in flames :)

In this partiular case however, the reviewer had a big American Amp (Krell or whatever) which took this up as a bit of a challenge & proceeded to drive this now very low impedance speaker :D

7. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What about all the (upto 30A) electrical cables and junction boxes fixed to the floor and ceiling joists in a house. Nice dry (unless you've got a problem!!) timber Surely more of a risk!!

Sounds iffy to me. Best way to check is to look at your policy or phone your insurers (Home and contents!)

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your carpet fitter didn't want any claims for unevenness or wear spots on a carpet that he had laid.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Indeed it is amplifier dependant....True story follows...

The first time one of my colleagues shorted out cables and caused a blow out he got a fright...Funnily enough the MD of the amlifier manufacturer came in to the shop very shortly afterwards and he was informed of what happened and how flames shot out of top of amp when it was shorted on outputs....his reply...

" They weren't flames, it was just heavy ionisation!":D

Gordon

10. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I would guess that it's the thinner speaker cables that are the potential problem as they are more likely to begin to heat up under load. The big heavy cables can cope with the heavy currents without getting warm.
    It is however the smaller cables which I am routing under carpets then up to my high level surrounds. I'm also decorating the room so I may just install some coving around the ceiling and drop out to speakers from that. It means more decorating (groan) but it'll probably result in a neater job when finished. :)

-Neil

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you connect some 12V halogen lamps to thin speaker cable it will surely get hot, but IMHO using it for it's original purpose will have hardly any effect.

Perhaps the carpenter is just being cautios or doesn't want you to lift the carpet after he finishes laying it and then people will say 'he didn't do a good job'.