Is it safe to tape bias lighting strips onto the back of your TV? Can it harm the screen?

makershaker

So last year.. bought a refurbished Samsung TV 65 inch. Bought some cool white LED lighting and taped it onto the back of the TV... it looked amazing when lit up. The lights were mains operated, not USB.

A few months later a major problem cropped up with the TV screen... a permanent border ended up all around the edge of the screen... with a reddish haze. Photo here...

TV was returned and got a brand new one to replace it. I've often wondered if taping bright cool white LED's straight onto the back of the TV could have caused the problem?

I want to put the lights back o to the new TV, which is another Samsung 65 inch.

Can taping these lights straight onto the back panel of the TV be harmful to it in any way possible?

Sonic67

Banned
I've done it with two TVs. With one I used gorilla glue as previously I'd used stickypads and the lights kept falling off. I've no idea how that could have got through the plastic back, the circuit boards and onto the screen.

makershaker

I've done it with two TVs. With one I used gorilla glue as previously I'd used stickypads and the lights kept falling off. I've no idea how that could have got through the plastic back, the circuit boards and onto the screen.

What? I'm asking if the strong light or the electric current from them can harm the screen at all?

Sonic67

Banned
What? I'm asking if the strong light or the electric current from them can harm the screen at all?
Light? Harm electrics?

Electric current? It's a couple of volts at best.

Doubt it very much as they would have to give off some sort of heat I would have thought..
Did this a while ago with a Pioneer I use to have in my den..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom