Is it safe to share V5 deets with a remote buyer?

Dodgy_Geezer

Selling a car for £12k and have someone interested in buying. They've asked for the reg number to do the HPI check which I've provided and they're now also asking for the VIN, V5 serial number and issue date.

VIN is visible through the front windscreen so don't mind sharing that but is it safe to share the V5 deets with someone who hasn't yet even seen the car? I think you need all of these for a full HPI check but can't seem to find anywhere that asks for reg + VIN + V5 serial + V5 date. When I've sold cars before, the buyer comes to see the motor and checks all the paperwork then but this particular buyer isn't very local so is asking for all the info up front.

Grateful for any advice :lease:

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Personally no.
The VIN maybe, so they can compare the HPI check. The other information they have no need for.

gibbo52

I don't know the answer but like you the reg and vin fair enough but don't know why they need the v5 number, I would ask them why they want it and see how they reply.

Dodgy_Geezer

Thanks for the replies. Buyer is saying they need the VIN, V5 serial and date for a HPI check. I thought you only needed a reg for this but it might be that the buyer wants to check the results of the HPI search aginst the info I provide.

DevCode

Stop, dont give the details out, the v5 number, vin and reg can now be used online to register change of owner details, once these go through change of ownership is instantaneous.

No sending off of the paper version is needed anymore.

Dodgy_Geezer

Stop, dont give the details out, the v5 number, vin and reg can now be used online to register change of owner details, once these go through change of ownership is instantaneous.

No sending off of the paper version is needed anymore.

Thanks bud, I have the name and address of the buyer and it seems that asking for a V5 number + VIN is normal if they're not local to save a wasted trip but best to be cautious.

Last edited:

anticlaus105

Certainly sounds a bit scammy however given that v5 is not proof of owenership what would they gain by falsley changing the registered keeper?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Only ever used reg plate for a HPI check.

AMc

Distinguished Member
it might be that the buyer wants to check the results of the HPI search aginst the info I provide.

You could get around this on the phone.
Ask the buyer for the month on their V5 check and the 3rd and 5th etc. digits of the V5 serial.
If they tally with what's on the form you have in your hand then you know they have the same info as you have from their check and you can share the lot. If they don't have a match on 3 numbers at random then they can't have the correct details so you share nothing else.

However this it the AA's advice...
Documents
  • Have all documents and history to hand including MOT certificates and service records
  • Don't let buyers make copies or take photos of vehicle documents

Last edited:

ashenfie

Personally I would say give the reg only. If they are really interested they can inspect/check when the come to view the car.

Dodgy_Geezer

Thanks for the replies everyone, seems fishy so have decided to walk away. If the seller is genine, they can always come back and view the car, have no problem with them inspecting the paperwork.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I seem to recall that last time I did an HPI check it was a two stage affair. Reg no. gave a basic check but they wanted VIN & V5 details to complete an enhanced check. Those details were also required to qualify for indemnity against the HPI info being incorrect.

HPI.png

That was hpicheck.com.

Edit
Wonder if it's worth doing one yourself? That way you don't disclose anything you're uncomfortable with & you can share the results with potential buyers. Whether they'd trust it I suppose could be an issue, as with house sellers providing a survey.

Last edited:

mjn

Distinguished Member
I use vcheck which also checks for salvage proof.

Dodgy_Geezer

Happy ending to this story, the original buyer got back in touch and a sale was agreed. They were genuine, and had never bought a car for cash before so were (understandably) taking the cautious approach.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom