Is it safe to run 360 without the cover on?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lovelyhead, Sep 12, 2007.

1. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

My 360 had the RROD a while back and I sent it off to get repaired by a guy on Ebay (This was before the 3 year warranty). It was working great for ages until last week when it started freezing up after about 10 minutes of gameplay. I'm not getting the RROD when I reset it, so I think it's just getting to hot and needs better cooling.

I would have just sent it back to MS but it has been opened so I don't think they would touch it.

I've heard of people soldering in new fans and the like but I don't want to go down that road unless I have no choice.

I was thinking that taking the cover off during gameplay might help to keep it a bit cooler and then replace it afterwards.

Is this safe?

Anyone else tried this?

Thanks for the advice in advance!:smashin:

2. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    you can buy after market fan units to help cool your 360 as for taking the cover off i wouldent myself but you can its ok as long as you dont touch inside or have children or animals around that might but try a fan first

3. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    if its anything like a PC, then taking the cover off may actually make it warmer.

With PC's (and I'm asusming the 360 aswell), the cases are designed to increase airflow. So cold air can be directed over the hot heatsinks, to take the heat away.

If you take the cover off, then the design is taken away, and you no longer have good airflow, meaning that a lot of the cool air doesn't flow over the heatsinks.

4. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    yeah the grills on the right of the 360 I assume bring in air while the fan out the back exhales it. If you take the cover of you could direct a fan over their I suppose to help

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I would think that if you took the cover off you're likely to get a lot more dust inside too which could have adverse effects.

6. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tips. Seems like taking the cover off might not help. I have heard that the 3rd party coolers you can buy don't really help either and can even overheat themselves, so I think I'll avoid them too.

Think I might do some research to see if I can add some more fans inside the 360.

7. messenger

messenger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I would highly recomend buying one of the Talismoon Whisper fans & also doing the fan shroud mod. Talismoon fans move 58% more air than the stock ones & fit in the existing case & motherboard connection. No soldering required just open her up, take out the old fans & fit the new ones. Their all over flea bay for around £10ish so have a look or even look on the main Talismoon web site.

I have fitted the same to my launch day console & its run faultlessly for 5 months now.

For details on the fan shroud modification see the link below, it certainly improves ventilation of all that hot air & is very easy to do.

http://rbjtech.bulldoghome.com/pages/rbjtech_bulldoghome_com/Xbox360.htm

Good Luck, PM me if you need any further advice or help :)

8. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Messenger. Great advice. I think I'll get the Talismoon fans and the shroud mod looks simple enough to do. Not got anything to lose.

Has anyone else had any experience of using the Talismoon fans? Would be interested to hear if you were having crashes or the RROD before adding the Talismoon fans.

Thanks

9. Akuma_uk

Akuma_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another thought, but another thread on this site, and many other forums, reckon that the company M$ use to repair the 360s don't care if your box has been opened or not..

Just send it back to M$ for repair..

10. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    From personal experience I'd say no....

I was playing FF7 on the PS1 with no case (it was drying in my shed after I'd sprayed it) and accidentally yanked the controller cable causing the console to slide forward and teeter on the edge of the unit it was resting on. My natrual reaction was to jump up and grab the PS1 to stop it falling... but silly me touched the top of a big capacitor on the power supply. As I did a huge blue spark shot out from it and I flew back onto my bed. Thankfully only the power supply died, and not myself! Later I did manage to build a working PS1 out of bits of another one which had died on me with a dodgy laser.

Lesson learned the hard way for me :eek:

That's exactly what I would do... RBJTech knows his stuff!

11. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    RandomLee, I think you have just convinced me for sure to keep the case on!

I've just bought the Talismoon fans so hopefully that will help. I'll let you know when I get them, hopefully tomorrow.

12. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thats for the best really. Mains electricity plus human being = V BAD :lesson:. Its amazing how much damage even a small amount of current will do.

13. Zzebedee

Zzebedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I'd try sending it back for repair. There have been loads of stories of peole sending their's back even after the case has been opened. Some even with the modded firmware.
    The work is done by a private firm, NOT microsoft so i doubt they'll care if the machine has been opened or not as long as they can bill Bill for it.

14. ocktober17

ocktober17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's safe to run the 360 with the covers off as you only have 12v DC and 5v DC on the machine Board as the Dangerous 240 v AC is only in the power brick.:smashin:

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Send it in for repair. All that happens is they'll check the serial number and send you out a new or reconditioned 360, they don't painstakingly repair your console and then send it back to you . If they ever realise the 360 was opened it will be after you've had a replacement , they won't care anyway by that point.

16. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I just installed the Talismoon fans and got about 5 more minutes of Forza before it crashed and I got the red lights! I think it was a gonner before I put in the fans.

I have to say that the talismoon fans are a good quality product. Easy to fit and it felt like they were putting out more hot air.

I think I'll try my luck and send it back to MS.

I'll let you know how I get on:thumbsup:

17. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Take the talismoon fans out first! that really would be a give away!

18. lovelyhead

lovelyhead
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought I would post an update about how I got on with my dead 360.

I sent it back to Microsoft a couple of weeks ago. The Xbox 360 had clearly been opened as it had no warranty seal and the tabs on the back had been damaged when it was opened. So I wasn't to hopeful.

Yesterday I returned home to find a box with my repaired Xbox 360. They replaced the motherboard and DVD rom drive and sent the same Xbox back to me! They even included a 1 Month Xbox Live Gold voucher!

So there's evidence if you need it that they don't care if the xbox has been opened or not! :clap:

19. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Warranty void if opened usually implies that the company assumes that by opening the box you have caused the damage. In the case of the 360 there is a recognised fault. I can only think that it is for this reason that they are accepting previously opened consoles back.

I should imagine that if any fault other than the one covered by the extended warranty was present then they probably wouldn't fix it.

Good news though - I bet you're a happy bunny :thumbsup:

20. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :rotfl:
    Sorry mate , i only laugh as you were fine , could have been very nasty:eek::smashin:

21. Kingsd316

Kingsd316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Plus the new warranty didnt come into effect quick enough for some people and their only option was to send it to an indepenent non microsoft repairer, hense would have had to damage the warranty sticker!