Is it safe to have the oled light at 100 when doing hdr gaming?

HappyGilmore007

Established Member
Reaction score
Just realised on the lg c9 the game mode has oled light set to 100 for the past 6 months and I have been playing fifa, rocket league etc. Just assumed tue default settings are very the best out of the factory.

Does oled light at 100 damage the screen and increase risk of burn in? Or does it not really matter if it is 60,70,80,90 etc does it increase the life and decrease risk of burn in the lower it is? (particularly width hdr gaming

What do you guys set it at?

Last edited:
I would say for anything you should the oled set to 60-80 max. With HDR gaming it can cause burn in as my friend played alot of Gran turismo in HDR and he has really bad burn in where the fuel gages etc are

I've got no problem with luminance being at 100 for watching movies or TV series as there's very rarely anything static on the screen for too long, but I'd be much more wary about playing certain types of games at that level. It shouldn't be a problem with immersive games with subtle (or even no) HUDs, but games like FIFA with it's bright, fixed scoreboards have caused people problems in the past so these are the ones to be more careful with.

Personally, I don't tend to game in HDR and I keep SDR luminance at similar levels to the picture modes I use for movie watching (so around 30 on my Panasonic GZ950). Many would see this as over-cautious but I prefer a more natural picture anyway, so I've got no problem with it. Only time will tell whether this is enough to avoid problems, but there was no sign of premature pixel wear the last time I checked and I've played many hundreds of hours of GTA V and RDR2 since I bought the OLED.

Ignoring the screen burn issue oled light at high levels is just way too bright...ahhh my retinas. Like having LCD backlight at 100%

Don't care oled light supposed to be at 100 for HDR it's just too much, in normal scenes it's still too bright...not like in her scene for a short while ie blazing direct sun shot, then goes back to normal, it's always too bright

2 x LG OLEDs, C6 owned for 3.5 years and C8 12 months. Have always left light setting at 100 for HDR no matter the content, including extensive sessions of Halo. Not even a hint of screen burn on either TV.

OLED light at 100 is fine in HDR.

If you find it hurts your eyes, visit opthalmologist.

From what I can make out from the best HDR experience it needs to be at 100 on the OLED light otherwise it starts messing things up? Is my understanding right on that

So HDR content is mastered utilising an entire backlights potential so with the backlight at 100, the TV is able to get the deepest blacks (as its OLED) and the brightest specular highlights (cos the backlight is at 100).

By not doing this or decreasing the number, you decrease the impact and ability for it to display HDR content to the best of the TV's capabilities.

Not the end of the world if you decide to decrease backlight but not ideal if you're interested in getting the best HDR image IMO.

So HDR content is mastered utilising an entire backlights potential so with the backlight at 100, the TV is able to get the deepest blacks (as its OLED) and the brightest specular highlights (cos the backlight is at 100).

By not doing this or decreasing the number, you decrease the impact and ability for it to display HDR content to the best of the TV's capabilities.

Not the end of the world if you decide to decrease backlight but not ideal if you're interested in getting the best HDR image IMO.

Aoxhwn a TV has a trillion bits output you have to leave it at a trillion?

100 for HDR is normal. What I absolutely hate is when they set peak brightness at high and it can't be switched off. That is the real issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom