Is it safe buy a 360 now?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by V3X, Mar 17, 2006.

1. V3X

V3X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So I've held off getting a 360 all this time because of all the horror stories about 360 problems... discs breaking, freezing etc. I'm going to GAME tomorrow to trade in a few xbox games for something and thought of getting the 360. By waiting up until now, is it safe to say I'll get one without any problems that some of the launch consoles had or should I wait even longer? Have MS fixed all the problems with their consoles?

Thanks for any help.

2. MooseRaj

MooseRaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a really good question IMO because ive been doing the exact same thing. Ive been waiting because im afraid its going to cause 400 dollars worth of frustration. I hope someone as some info on this.:lease:

3. W1zz

W1zz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Why worry - Everythings covered by 12month warranty and Microsoft are top drawer for replacing faulty units.

The official returns figure is 3%-5%

TBH - Your missing out by hanging about.

:D

4. twistywizard

twistywizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The same thing has been said over and over again!

There ISNT a high rate of failure its around or below the average for a piece of Technology! You only here about the faulty ones as the ones who have a working unit will be playing it or not posting and dont forget about all the people that DONT use the forums.

You have a warranty so I dont see what the problems are to be honest. Also with regards to scratched disks thats because people move them while the machine is on, this will cause scratches!!!!

I say stop being big girls blouses and go buy one ;)

Once you get it up and running you will see the games and forget all about the issues. And if you are thinking of waiting for PS3 dont think it will be any different as it wont ;)

5. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    yeh go for it .....have fun:smashin:

6. twistywizard

twistywizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also this is coming from someone who HAS had a faulty unit replaced by MS, 3 days after launch day and even back then it was a 3 day turn around.

And even after that the courier dropped the 360 and it had a bust DVD drive and had to go back AGAIN!

7. The_Censor

The_Censor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is it safe to buy a 360 now?

Not if you value the life and sanity of you and your family, take my advice mate, get out while you still can, ask no questions, run, run for the hills!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

PS Aye, it's safe enough. [​IMG]

8. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Even if you were to hold off for a year V3X, there's no guarantee you would pick up a revised model of the 360. For instance, when I got my original Xbox with Halo and Midtown Madness 3, the manufacture date on the bottom of the console was nearly 14 months prior to the date I bought it and it was 2 revisions older than the then current model.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the defect rates. As each new piece of kit comes along, it's launched into an ever more aware and vocal community. Forums like AVF, the official Xbox forum, Xbox Scene etc are full of forums and thousands of people talking about nothing but the Xbox (AVF obviously has plenty of other topics but a dedicated sub-forum for Xbox) so it's not unreasonable to expect a number of people to report problems with it. Besides' it's human nature to complain about something when it's not working more so than to praise something when it is working. If everyone who wasn't having problems posted on these forums saying how great it was, you'd never get to read anything else :)

As others have said, it's not worth hanging on - if you want to get it, get it now safe in the knowledge that if it does go wrong, many people on the forums are now getting a replacement 360 back the same week it was picked up! The only reason I can see for not buying a 360 right now is the thought of putting up £300 for one plus games - certainly no technical reasons to hold off! :smashin:

9. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Buy one now!! If you don't, you may miss out on the limited edition launch-time only XBox360/radiator/helecopter impersonator combo that currently keeps me glued to my TV, and yet comfortably warm/uncomfortably deaf at the same time! :D

10. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600

1) Diskbreaking was restriced to the American consoles and a particular DVD drive not having bumpers to stop the disk jumping when the stupid americans decided to move the console while in use.

2) Freezing was generally due to a certain batch of early machines being manufactured with the foil not removed from the heat transfer compound on the CPU coolers.

I bought my 360 in Jan and havent had a problem at all :)

11. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I ordered from Argos in Jan, and had no hardware problems. Just a cople of software crash bugs, which is caused by the guide.

Other then that its no major problem.

12. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    it was safe to buy a 360 at the beginning, like any peice of hardware there is a chance you will get a faulty one. You can easily take it back to the shop or use the microsoft return system which sounds like its pretty decent.

If you are unwilling to take tiny risks like this, you'd never leave the house. Grab one, its a great system.

13. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Every console ever made will always have faults and design flaws, it takes time to make a console flaw and fault free.

14. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I got my 360 in December and have had no problems with it at all.

If you want one then get one, I see no reason for concern regarding reliability.

Just be aware that any electrical/electronic product that you ever buy carries some degree of risk of failure. That's why you have a warranty/guarantee.