Is it RGB or not RGB that is the question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    After owning my DMRE30 for almost a year, I came across an issue I have never noticed before, and wonder if someone can shed any light on it. I was recording CSI on C5 Tuesday night from Sky digi box in RGB or so I thought. I happened to select analogue C5 whilst the Panny was recording from Sky and noticed that the analogue picture looked identical to the Sky broadcast coming through the Panny DVD. To check, I flicked back to Sky and selected the t.v on screen display - also Panasonic. The display simply read AV1 and picture mode JUST, not usual AV1 RGB 16.9 Tried same thing with BBC straight after CSI finished, and sure enough noticable picture difference between Sky RGB and analogue, picture mode whilst recording BBC source read AV1 RGB 16.9 Are C5 transmitting via different medium? Can anyone explain anomaly?

:confused:

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Have you got RGB set for both AV1 and AV2 on the Panny? I record in RGB from my freeview box but you have to set RGB up in the setup menu.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Of course I have, I have been using the machine quite happily for the last twelve months. Funnily enough I mentioned this to a colleague at work who has the HS2, he thought the same thing had happened when he recorded Britains Worst Driver the week before, again on C5. Can anyone shed any light on why this should happen?

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could check the properties of the recorded program to see what source was recorded. It could be that you accidently recorded the analogue signal for CH5 instead of the digibox.

Alternatively, perhaps the program was broadcast non-anamorphically and therefore "Just" was displayed instead of 16:9. Does your tv ever say AV1 RGB Just?

Just mode and RGB are not related. One is related to the aspect ratio setting of the tv, the other describes the input signal.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    No, its usual display via Sky box displays AV1 RGB 16.9 Just is only displayed on the analogue signal. The E30 will always default to record from Sky box when the box is turned on, so it could not have been recorded from analogue source, besides which I checked the source numerous times just to make sure I was not seeing things.

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You're wrong. Just is not only for analogue; it's for 4:3 programs stretched to fill a widescreen telly. These can be analogue or digital.

16:9 is displayed when anamorphic broadcasts are received. These are true widescreen broadcasts. You will never see 16:9 on analogue unless you manually change the aspect ratio of the tv yourself. However, not all sky broadcasts are anamorphic, and Just mode could be displayed in these cases if you have automatic format correction set on your telly.

As I said, the Just v 16:9 thing doesn't determine absolutely if the program came from sky, nor whether the recording was done via RGB. If you see 16:9 mode, then you can assume it came from sky, as analogue tv doesn't broadcast anamorphic images.

The really intriguing thing is why the RGB indicator is not displayed when in Just mode even if RGB is being used. I suggest you refer to your tv manual.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the analogue C5 picture should be better than Sky picture if
    you are in a good reception area! Its far less compressed no digital break up etc etc etc Analogue is the best transmission depending on Aerial location etc

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic tv's do not display a "Just" picture in RGB mode-or a 14:9 one come to that.But it should do on the S-video input.
    But,to the original problem.BBC (and ITV) all broadcast in the same way they have for years.But since they started,C5 have always broadcast to satellite and terrestrial transmitters have picked up C5 from these satellite broadcasts.I can think of no reason why the picture should suddenly be different.However,I did note a comment the other day that someone had noticed how superior C5 was on SD in comparison with other channels.Maybe their original uplink to satellite has been improved.
    There is a variety of full time C5 broadcasts on 37west,although I believe they may have moved recently.(Encrypted,of course)