1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it really worth spending the extra money?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bix, Jul 4, 2005.

1. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As discussed in previous posts, I have just aquired a Pioneer 868AVi last week. I bought the unit because it had iLink and HDMI and high quality DACs, but there are much cheaper players with HDMI on, and here in lies my question...

Since the TV does the work with the HDMI signal and the AMP does the work with with the iLink signal, does it really matter how good/how much you spend on the DVD player?

Would a Denon 1919 at much less money produce the same HDMI picture?

I dont think I've wasted my money at any shot because the features the dvd player offers are amazing and the fact it has both iLink and HDMI is invaluable, but it is more a question about HDMI players in general.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    At the moment HDMI is seen as a value added feature worth extra cash. In future it will be the norm and the things you feel make your player wothwhile will still be the things that determine extra cost (in addition to build quality).

3. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It was more a question of the difference between the actual players. If the player isnt doing the work with the video signal, what is the point in paying 800 quid for an hdmi player when 300 quid will still get you hdmi out, is there a difference between the two for quality?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There are many aspects of the DVD player which add up to good PQ, not just the fact that it's spitting out a HMDI signal. I'd fully expect the 868 to be better for example than a £100 Samsung HDMI machine. Whether the difference is worth £600 is another matter however...PJ :)

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The only way to know is try a cheaper player on your setup and see if there's much difference. Often you can return goods if your not happy, its cheeky I know but sometimes paying more may not deliver any benefit and sometimes it does. You only really know by seeing for yourself.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    better off getting a cheaper player and 100 more dvds
    IMHO

7. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd wait until the end of the year and then get HD-DVD player.

Why waste money on a format thats being phased out?

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Because it ain't. Every film produced for the next 10 years will be out on DVD as well as HD-DVD. :)

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes bit of a silly statement. DVD is here and won't be going anywhere. The price of DVD's has dropped substantially especially with the constant year round sales and it is an incredibly popular format.

The £££ price : performance ratio is excellent and any HD material will not likely be the same.

I for one along with others have an extensive collection, hardly going to chuck it out or let it go to waste. Just got myself an 868 which will see my collection well into upscale territory. :)

10. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This does seem to be a bit of a current question on the forum and one I've been mulling over myself before I buy an HDMI equipped DVD player to go with a Benq PE7700 HD projector (apparently has a decent scaler but poor deinterlacer, thus feeding it 570P or 720P via HDMI would seem to be the thing to do, dependant on the quality of the DVD player's scaler).

I've read through hundreds of debates about player x vs player y, but I'm really only interested in the HDMI link, not the component. So if you accept that you want an HDMI equipped player with a scaler, the choices in today's market are (rough prices slotted in for approximation, but please free to quote different ones if they're =/- £50 adrift):

Marantz DV7600 (£700) (not out yet?)
    Yamaha 2500 (£700) (not out yet?)
    Denon 3910 (£700)
    Pioneer DV868AVi (£600)
    Denon 2910 (£530)
    Philips D9000S (£220)
    Panasonic D97S (£150)
    Samsung HD950 (£110)
    Samsung HD850 (£90)
    Toshiba SD350 (£80) (not out yet?)

Please feel free to add more.

The problem then develops in that if you don't want a universal player and are horribly aware that you will update to one of the next gen HDDVD/Blu-Ray players in the next year/two years or so, how much better will the HDMI output (which is supposedly just lifting the digital signal from the DVD and passing it through a scaler/deinterlacer if outputting 720P) be on a top of the range model to a bottom of the range. Let's forget about sound issues for now and concentrate on picture.

Me, I'm drawn towards the Pioneer 868 one day, but then I read in one post that the deinterlacer's a bit pants (which doesn't commend it to the PE7700) and think I'd better go budget for now. If the Tosh or Samsungs can put out a decent picture for £80 and their scalers are OK (and the 868's must be ancient technology by now), why bother going any higher until HD launch + 1 year or so?

Interesting times in the HDMI equipped market, as the thing seems to be kicking off, but has anyone made any direct comparisons between HDMI outputs. I'm sure there must be some difference, but isn't a bit a bit until it becomes a pixel?

Squibbly

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Well I've just picked up a brand new MR 868AVi for £499.95.

Hooking it up as we speak but at that price, for that quality it's a no brainer.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    So why are Sony and a number of other distributors quietly ditching the widescreen versions of DVDs and replacing them with 4:3 pan and scans if DVD is a format they wish to continue?

13. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oooh! Good price Ekko Star. Where from? You see, there I go, oscillating wildly!

Squibbly.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Well I can't comment on this 4:3 pan and scan thing really ?

Sure HD is going to be technically better, but the replacement of HD to SD DVD is not quite the same as to what DVD was to VHS. On one hand the jump is more subtle whereas on the other it was a wholesale leap. Also I'm not sure as would many others wish to rebuild back catalogue for classic films in order for the sake of HD ? Why would you want to see the poor transfers and grain exacerbated. Sure as new releases come out they may exploit HD fuller but there is such variability in SD DVD it is no reason to believe HD material will be any different. The hardware base is also widespread and players start from as little as £30 nowadays. HD has a long way to go to hit those kind of levels.

Will I buy a HD player ? Sure I will but no reason for me to discard DVD.

Squibbly I got it from Superfi £499.95 multi-region brand new with 2 year warranty. Nice price :smashin:

15. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Awesome price..their listing it at £799.95 on their website..how the hell did you get that deal ? :confused:

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It has been £699.95 on the website for a little while but it went upto £799 on the website today.

The High end Pioneer deals are instore callers only but you got to hurry ! I got the last new boxed 868 left in Camden store today.

I had to check.... it's not refurbished ? not ex demo ? not anything but brand spanking new right ? Sure was £499.95 brand spanking new multi-region modded :thumbsup:

17. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Can not say I've noticed any rush by any producer of DVD content to abandon DVD in any way, in fact the quality is going up. This is evident with more care being taken by most producers to include original release content for films including mono sound tracks, 4:3 ratio images etc. HD will become standard over time.... along time. Look at how long it has taken DTV to take the place of terrestrial TV, it hasn't fully yet and how many years has it been. HD-DVD will be a similar time scale.

18. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting thread guys - I'm in the market for an HDMI DVD player - I think I might give one of the low-end players a go - after all - I can always take it back ;)