Is it really worth it?

p203557

Hi there,

I'm fully aware that I may be asking in the wrong place for the most objective reply but here goes anyway.

I'm toying with starting a separates system and Arcam seems to be the way to go as I want 5.1 sound but also want a very good stereo music system. Then I start looking at the prices................ Specifically I've been looking at the AVR300 and a DV79 to connect to a plasma via HDMI. I'd nearly talked myself into it and then I though about £1000 on just a dvd player!!! :suicide: I've arranged a demo at a store for the weekend but is it really that good to justify so much money? The AVR300 has had so many great reviews I think I can justify it to myself but would I notice the difference on a dvd player costing a few hundred less?

Richard

Shaggybert

At the end of the day (cool, I've used the most irritating phrase in the world), it really comes down to your own priorities.

If you are the kind of person who can spend hours at a time listening to your favourite music, or watching films, then yes, it is definately worth it.

However, if you only listen to music occasionally, while you are doing something else, then you shouldnt feel that you are doing yourself an in-justice by buying a cheaper system. Quite the opposite.

With regards to getting a balanced viewpoint from this forum, I think most of us who use it are well in touch with the extent of our own obsession, and thoroughly understand that not everyone thinks the same way, so I wouldn't worry to much.

Timmy C

Are you using a seperate cd player? If not then I definitely think it's worth considering but if you already have a good cd player and you're only using the dvd player for movies then you need to ask yourself how important movies are to you.

p203557

The DV79 would be acting as both cd and dvd player thats one of the attractions of Arcam being good enough at both to not need a separate cd player.

Cheers for the replies,

Richard

nicholas_g

Standard Member
Richard,

I've been thinking much the same. I've pretty much made by mind up to go with the AVR 300, but am hesitant to get the DV79, with HD-DVD and BluRay around the corner.
I'm planning to take my current DVD player (a cheap Toshiba) and my old CD player (10 year old Cyrus DAD7) to my dealer and compare them using their digital outputs and the AVR300 DACs to the DV79 and the CD73.
If the differance in sound quality is limited I'll save the money for the Arcam HD-DVD or BluRay player when it comes out!

Nicholas.

p203557

Its a dilemma albeit a nice one. It just depends how long it will take for HD-DVD or Blu-ray to become established. Having said that the speed at which it is all moving is so quick you could end up never buying anything as you'll always be waiting for the newer better one that is always around the corner!!!! :hiya:

nicholas_g

Standard Member
I agree, you will always get something better next year. I'm hoping my current sources are "good enough" until I can get HD DVD player. I would really like something that plays CD/DVD/SACD and which ever next format wins.

Something else to think about is a post I saw on another forum - this guy has a AVR300, and CD73 and a Denon 2910. He said he thought the CD73 sounded better than the DV79 on CDs and the Denon was better than the DV79 on DVDs when he auditioned them. Plus you can play SACD on the Denon.

evans

why dont you wait and not waste your money, if you did not know about blue ray coming out then yes make your choice but spending that kind of money and in three years even selling it you will get peanuts of what you paid because blue ray will be out. I think it will be out quicker than we think.

flexiondotorg

Hi,

p203557 said:
I'm toying with starting a separates system and Arcam seems to be the way to go as I want 5.1 sound but also want a very good stereo music system. Then I start looking at the prices................ Specifically I've been looking at the AVR300 and a DV79 to connect to a plasma via HDMI. I'd nearly talked myself into it and then I though about £1000 on just a dvd player!!! :suicide: I've arranged a demo at a store for the weekend but is it really that good to justify so much money? The AVR300 has had so many great reviews I think I can justify it to myself but would I notice the difference on a dvd player costing a few hundred less?
I completely understand where you are coming from, I was having the same problem coming to terms with relatively high price of the Arcam equipment. However, here are some extracts from my first posting in the Arcam Owners forum.

"After demoing various components for a small room (two seater) home cinema I have finally found some products which really impressed me, the Arcam DV78 and Arcam AVR250. Until last week I had not considered the Arcam equipment due to the price, but after a demo on Saturday I knew I had found what I was looking for and the uplift in price feels like a bargain considering the improvement in sound quality. Equipment tested previously was the Denon AVR-3805/DVD-3910, Marantz DV-6500/SR7500 and loads of bits from Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer. I was amazed at how much more detailed the Arcam sound was in comparision and the CD audio playback left the Denon combo sounding brittle and harsh by comparision. Quite astonishing, but you all know that right? ;-) Today I have taken delivery of a DV78 and AVR250 :)"

And a bit later I said...

"I am hugely impressed with the Arcam kit and only wish I had tested it earlier, it would have saved me months of agonising over a list of unsuitable candiates."

My best advice is go to a dealer that can demo the Arcam kit you are interested in and also the kit from another vendor in the same sitting.

Take CDs and DVDs of your own that your are familiar with. Make sure the same speakers and interconnects are used for both demos. If the Arcam kit sounds better to you, then decide if you think the extra price is worth the extra quality.

Timmy C

evans said:
why dont you wait and not waste your money, if you did not know about blue ray coming out then yes make your choice but spending that kind of money and in three years even selling it you will get peanuts of what you paid because blue ray will be out. I think it will be out quicker than we think.
You could look at it another way though. You could wait a year or however long it takes for Blu Ray to appear and buy one of the early machines for crazy money and then find a couple of years later you can get a machine 3 times as good for a third of the cash when they've ironed out all the bugs.

If I were in this situation I would buy the Arcam now (as I did not long ago) and enjoy having a cracking dvd player while watching to see what happens with the new generation stuff.

H

Hoggers

Hello.. :hiya:

Having recently upgraded to Arcam kit I can only sing their praises.

I have always found waiting for the newest technology to be a pain as by the time it arrives it is no longer that new and already there is something else in the pipeline that is faster, better etc (sounds a bit like the Bionic man ;) ).

I would definitely go for a demo as the dvd player is a whole leap above the rest.. makes movies on my old Sony tv look amazing.

Enjoy

Alastair

Nic Rhodes

Just buy the player, it is a star of the Arcam range and will give you many hears of great performance.

I would also 'question' the HD formats as being just around the corner, and to use them to the full then you will need a new receiver and a HD display.

Top Bottom