Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brethy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got back from R/S having bought a LG DR4810 only to find that it doesn't have RGB input via scart, I also found various hit and miss reviews re-quality of recording etc. I bought the recorder primarily as a replacement for the VCR and so obviously will be recording off sky/freeview. Please can somemone put my mind at rest that I have not bought a lemon, at the moment I cannot even bear to get it out of the box as I'm feeling a bit fed up.

Thanks

Mrs Brethy :confused:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Hornydragon, boy was I getting worried :thumbsup: . I've got S-video in and out, component out, composite in and fire wire in, NO RGB in for better quality ie Sky recording. Do you think this is ok, please help me feel a bit better about the thing, it's still lurking in it's box. :eek:

Thanks

Donna (AKA Mrs Brethy)

4. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess it is that bad then, I know where I'll be going tomorrow :(

Mrs Brethy

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i mean the sky box etc not the recorder. how much did you pay?

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have the XS30 which did not have RGB in, so I had to use s-video. On my old crt I really couldn't tell much of a difference, on my plasma the difference is significant.

If it was me I would take it back.

Have you considered paying a little more and getting a HDD version, makes the world of difference.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,023
    I can't see any difference on my TV between S Video and RGB with my HS2.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it really depends on the display

with my 32" tosh crt I could only tell the difference on the sky menus, s-vhs produced a slight tiss whereas rgb was more rich.

On the 42" plasma the difference in my rgb recordings and old s-vhs recordings is significant.

9. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies, the recorder cost £199.99 and it will be hooked up to a 42" hitachi plasma so I think we would notice a difference in the picture. I think I will contact R/S when they open to take it back as I really feel bad about it, it's still not come out of the box. After doing a bit of research (bit late now :blush: ) I think I'll go for the Panny DMR-E55 which seems to be highly thought of. You live and learn ;)

Thanks again for the help I'll let you know how I get on.

Donna :)

PS Hornydragon, the recorder's S-video in is at the front of the box so it would look pretty gruesome hooked up continually, had we known all this we wouldn't of bought the thing, of course I blame Mr Brethy :laugh: .

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    No problem Mrs Brethy the panny has RGB in and i think will output as component, RasCack will be able to tell you for definate!

11. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know I got my money back from R/S no problem they were really good about it and didn't hesitate. So now I'm off to get a Panny DMR-E55. If anyone has any comments or tips re-this recorder (RasCack?) they will be gratefully received.

Thanks

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Don't know that chap but I will happily throw in my 2p worth.

The LG model does have some serious limitations: no RGB, no S-Video on front panel, lip-sync issues on VR mode recordings and troublesome to use. That said it is their first generation model so things can only get better.

The Panasonic E55 is an excellent recorder - very good value at a little over £200 - offers progressive scan, component, editting, playlist etc etc. The only point to note is that it's re-writeable recording media is DVD-RAM so it won't play in other DVD players (it also records to write-once DVD-R which will play in almost anything). Provided that isn't a show stopper then the Panasonic E55 is the best all-round budget model by quite some margin and is an ideal VHS replacement.

If you do need your re-writeable recordings to play in other DVD players (at the expense of features such as Timeslip, Chasing Playback etc) then you should look at the Sony GX3 or Pioneer 220. Whilst both offer VR features if you use them their disks are effectively incompatible with other DVD players.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
  14. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply Rasczak, sorry about the name but I copied it off Hornydragon's thread. I was just ploughing through the great + & _ debate when I realised I had spelt it wrong :blush: . I'm really glad you think the Panny's a good machine after doing a bit of digging around it seems to be exactly what we want (replacing the VCR :) ) and we're not at all bothered about disk sharing, it's a good thing we realised about the LG before it was too late.

Thanks again

PS Can you tell me where's the best place to get the RAM disks from, are they easily available?.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Panasonic DVD-RAMs can be easily picked up in Dixons, Comet, PC World etc. IMHO your better off buying them online as it will be a few pounds cheaper. You will only ever need a few so I suggest going for decent branded media: Panasonic, Maxell or TDK (all other DVD-RAM media is just rebadged from these companies anyway).

The Panasonic E-Shop has good prices on Panasonic media (surprise):
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/default.aspx

DVD-And-Media has some good prices on Maxell DVD-RAMs:
    http://www.dvd-and-media.com/dvd-ram-media.htm

SVP do some cheap DVD-RAM media - personnally I would avoid that though:
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_RAM___CLICK_HERE.html

The Panasonic E55 can use 4.7GB or 9.4GB DVD-RAM media in a caddy/cartridge or 'bare' media. Which type you get is entirely up to you - I prefer the security of a caddy (it is ideal if you have children/pets etc) but most DVD-RAM compatible devices require caddyless disks (you can take caddied disks out there caddies but it is tricky).

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sorry mate

:blush:
    Donna hope you are happy with panny and please stay and take some of the workload!

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    No problem - I was only joking - everybody spells the name wrong.