1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it possible

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adrenochrome, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    i have a living room 15 feet by 13 feet (would be 10 feetish from screen).

i was going to buy a plasma but couldn't decide between the pio and the panny so in the meantime i have purchased a sony kv 32 fx66 (3 scarts 2 rgb 1 s-video), i also have sky digital(2 scarts) sony dav s300 (s-video) jvc vcr (2 scarts) and an x-box.

now what i want to do is buy a projector (hs10 or z1 maybe ae100) and feed everything through this so is it possible and if it is how the heck do i connect it all together?

i want to watch sky digital 80% of the time is pq going to be ok?

all help accepted.

regards

Tom Barr.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tombarr,

I am using a Panasonic AE300 in a room that's similar in size to yours. I'm projecting onto an 8ft wide screen from 12ftish away.

Depending on what image size you want and where you want the projector in the room will probably dictate which projector choices are open to you.

The Pannys and the Sanyo are very short throw so can do a big image in little space, the HS-10 is a rather longer throw. Visit www.projectorcentral.com and use their throw calculator to see what layouts could work for you.

Now the bad news :)

You just won't get good picture quality from Sky Digital on a really big screen, it's pretty ugly and blocky due to the high levels of compression used. However it's still worthwhile for the footy etc :)

As for connecting it up, well my setup is using mostly s-video as I use my AV amp for signal switching. So I have PS2/DVD going into the amp and then a 10m s-video cable running round the walls to the projector at the back.

I also have a PC next to the sofa that's connected to the projectors VGA port.

For sky I currently run a composite (yuk :) ) cable from the sky box to the projector. At some point I may invest in an RGB->S-video convertor so I can use the amp switching for Sky and have one less cable.

The UK spec AE300 (not yet available) has a single RGB SCART but this is quite unusual and long scart cables are a pain :) . Not sure about the other PJ's.

Hope this made some sense.

-- Jon

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    thank you for your reply gothmog.

i was hoping someone was going to tell me sky was great on a projector (silly of me i guess).

i was thinking about a 92" diagonal size screen.

i wasn't thinking about connecting a pc to it (should i?)

would i get a better picture on sky if i connected it via rgb?
    as my dvd player only has s- video:( .

also my dvd player is an all in one ie no seperate amp to do switching???

sorry for all the questions but if i go down this road i'll only get one shot at it as the "enemy" shall cut my danglies off if i make a harry hunt of it.:eek:

regards

Tom Barr.

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well ok lets see

Sky - RGB Scart
    DVD - S-video
    Video - Composite
    X-Box - Component video (I'm pretty sure it can output this :) as it does progressive modes - check )

The last three are no problem for the projectors you have stated an interest in. You could always watch sky via the video over the composite. This would also allow you to keep the RGB sky into the telly for watching neighbours or other such not worthy of the projector :)

Altho RGB is desirable for Sky it's the source that's the real problem so it's not as significant as say with a DVD player.

No a PC is not required, it's just another funky part of the addiction :p

-- Jon

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    excellent i'll try to decide on a projector now :D

you wouldn't happen to know where in the central belt of scotland i could demo some of the ones i mentioned earlier??

Tom Barr.