Is it possible...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Trendyninja, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Trendyninja

Trendyninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When connecting my 360 Elite to my LE26R87BDX, when setting the resolution to 720p I get gorgeous vibrant colours. Yet when going for the optimal resolution (768p) I get an ultra sharp picture but slightly washed out colours.

Is it possible to get my hdtv to give me the colours and vibrancy of 720p and the resolution and sharpness of 768p when I select optimal resolution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smashin:

2. Barry the Brave

Barry the Brave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    What connection are you using? There is an issue with the VGA giving washed out colours, which can be addressed by choosing intermediate or expanded in the display options of the 360.

I can't think of any reason that the colours would change at different rersolutions, unless you are using different connection types/inputs on your TV.

You might get more info in the 360 section, I hang around there regularly and there's some really helpful guys there.

3. Trendyninja

Trendyninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using HDMI as I have the Xbox Elite.

It's weird because when I go for 720p I have all options available on my HDTV to change any settings.

Yet when I go for the "Optimal Resolution" which gives out 763p, loads of options in the tv menu are un-selectable. Like sharpness, colour etc.

4. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    The reason its probably washed out is because 768p uses PC black levels. The 360 is a gimp when it comes to correct video output. Outputting at 768p like VGA, the 360 thinks its going to a PC monitor so the black level is set to 0. Whereas a standard TV needs it set to 7. Thats what the referance level settings are supposed to fix.

If Microsoft would have done a little research, we'd have gotten a lot more VGA resolutions and a clear option that says "TFT Monitor or HDTV" when using VGA, so it would automatically fix this.

I'm buying an Elite on wednesday next week and I'm glad to hear that it can do Optimal Resolution, thats great news for 1:1 pure sharpness, but bad news if its washed out. I hope MS fix this issue in an upcoming update. Even with the referance level settings, theres still a grey haze to using VGA resolutions on a 360.

5. Trendyninja

Trendyninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is what's confusing me though Blackbolt360 as a few people have mentioned that they are getting the rich colours of 720p (like composite) when using the optimal resolution of 768p.

Now I don't like to call people liars and I'm not going to mention names obviously, but I'm beginning to think they may be talking a load of old tosh.

The majority of people I have spoken to on forums all say the same, that the optimal levels via hdmi give the same grey haze as if it were VGA.

Until I see a comparispm picture of 768p on the 360 giving the same vibrant colours as 720p on any HDTV, then and only then will I beleive it's possible.