is it possible to use 2 amps but the same speakers???

dogtown

Established Member
Reaction score
iv'e got the onkyo tx-nr 509 and i'd like to know if i can set up a music amp but use the same speakers (not the centre) front L&R + 2 surrounds.

i just havnt got room to put speakers everywhere.

is this possibe using the Zone 2 on the av reciver?

The zone 2 will only work for analogue sources not digital, what you wish to do is possible but at rather great expense or connection messing.

1) There are speaker switches available which take 2 sources to 1 speaker but these are often £100 from when I last looked.

2) Just have some banana plugs and physically switch between both amplifiers.

The zone 2 will only work for analogue sources not digital, what you wish to do is possible but at rather great expense or connection messing.

1) There are speaker switches available which take 2 sources to 1 speaker but these are often £100 from when I last looked.

2) Just have some banana plugs and physically switch between both amplifiers.

analogs fine as the cd player would be connected to amp via red/white phono leads

bacically i want to listen to films through the av reciver as norm but listen to cd's etc through the music amp but through the same speakers.

would it work?????

Also, would the av reciver have to prosess anything before sending the info to the music amp?

Last edited:
Hi dogtown.

I think you may be under the misapprehension that AV amps have to use all their attached speakers even if only playing stereo sources? This isn't the case and a multichannel AV amp can be used to power just the two speakers associated with stereo and without the other speakers being active. You simply put the amp into stereo or similar mode and just the two front speakers are utilised/powered. You do not need to connect an additional pair of speakers purely for use with stereo sources or for when you just want to listen in stereo ;)

Most if not all AV amps also have a direct mode of some description that disables additional audio processing. If such a mode is engaged, stereo would be passed through as stereo without additional processing.

Anyway, if I'm incorrect in my assumption and you still wish to connect an additional amp to the second zone outputs, yes you can do so, but this would not fascilitate the use of the same pair of stereo speakers with both the stereo integrated amp and your AV amp! You need something like this to share the speakers between your amps:
http://www.beresford.me/PP/TC2D7220_AUDIO_ROUTER.html

Last edited:
ok thank you dante:)

all i want to dowhn switching to a cd/record decks is hear the music in good quality through 4 of the speaker i have now without being prosessed. (2 kef iq70's and 2 kef c1's.

i think the best way i can do this is buy a seprate music amp and some bananna plugs and change them over when i need too.

thanks for the info

steve (noob):)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom