Is it possible to UNDO a firmware update?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Retro Ramblings, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Retro Ramblings

Retro Ramblings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Tevion blu ray player, and it was working great with the multi-region codes for both DVDs and blu rays. However I recently installed the firmware update from the Curtis International website as I had the blu ray of American Werewolf in London that wouldn't play. Following the update it still didn't work, and I then discovered that the region code hack no longer works. They've killed it with the update. I've spoken to their customer service about whether it's possible to go back to a previous version of the software but they're no help. They did however send me a replacement blu ray player, which was unexpected, Unfortunately it's a Philips 2000 Series, which is impossible to hack for blu rays (the DVD multi-region codes works however).

So my question to you all is, can you go back to a previous version of software once you have done a firmware update? Or is it even possible to physically hack the machine with some sort of mod?

Thanks.

2. marlboro_man

marlboro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As far as I know your player is a clone of Momitsu BDP-899. Try to find old region free BDP-899 firmware (I believe the original file name of that firmware is "BDP-899_English_Japanese_France_PKG-064_090330. rar").

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. Retro Ramblings

Retro Ramblings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. I've read about that firmware on lots of forums, and it sounds like it would do the trick, but I can't find it anywhere! Do you know anywhere I might be able to find it? It doesn't appear to exist anywhere online any more, and Momitsu are now out of business.

4. marlboro_man

marlboro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I don't know where to find it. I googled it, but only found 2 dead links.

5. Retro Ramblings

Retro Ramblings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's what I had. It seems like that's the answer though, I may have to pester a few people on forums who say they have the file saved!

Thanks for your help.