Is it possible to transfer to DVD this way?

kroc_kroc

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Sony HDR-HC3. My imac is very slow and I won't be able to upgrade for a while. It'sthe old 1 GHz model. I have never tried it but I would imagine it would take ages just to get the video from this cam to DVD.

So I was wandering:

Would it be possible to connect this cam to a DVD recorder and then record the video directly to DVD? I know this cam has a burn to DVD mode but ASAIK it's just for Sony computers?

I was thinking of doing it this way 'till I upgrade.

Can anyone please help me before I go ahead and make this purchase? Cheers in advance :)

PS

Any advice info on the above model would be great :)

I'm not familiar with the burn to DVD feature... but..

I assume you are talking about a standard def DVD? (HD DVD isn't a readily available option yet). There are a few ways to do it:

1. You can shoot HDV and have the camcorder convert to SD DV... which can easily be converted to DVD MPEG format.

2. You can shoot HDV, have the camcorder convert to DV, and feed that to a set top DVD recorder to make a DVD.

3. You can edit HDV and convert to mpeg2/DVD on the PC. You'll need to use a "proxy" to edit, so this takes an extra step, but is possible. You are right that the conversion to mpeg2 for SD DVD will take some time, but you can let it run overnight.

I assume you are talking about a standard def DVD? (HD DVD isn't a readily available option yet).

Yeah, I meant SD DVD

2. You can shoot HDV, have the camcorder convert to DV, and feed that to a set top DVD recorder to make a DVD.

A ha,so it is possible then :) Do you know if the camcorder process for doing this is time consuming?

3. You can edit HDV and convert to mpeg2/DVD on the PC. You'll need to use a "proxy" to edit, so this takes an extra step, but is possible. You are right that the conversion to mpeg2 for SD DVD will take some time, but you can let it run overnight.

On my mac SD takes forever. That'sthe reason why I want to go straight to DVD. My parents wnat to use the camcorder as well so it would be a pain to have to keep running everything through my very slow imac.

The camcorder downconversion to DV is in real time.

What I do (I have an HC1):

- I always shoot in HD (note the HC1/HC3 can also shoot DV)

- If I want/need to make a DVD quickly, I set the camcorder to DV downcovnvert, connect it to the DV in on my set top (not PC) DVD recorder, and go. The DVD recorder also converts in real time.. so if I've shot a 1 hour tape, it will take 1 hour to get it to DVD. I can then even do basic editing on the DVD recorder (as I have a HDD/DVD recorder which makes this easy).

- When I have time to edit, I edit, create a DV DVD from the PC, and also a HDV master (back out to tape). When I finally get a blueray/HD DVD burner I can then use that HDV master to make a HD disc.

Cheers for the advice – I willtry and get that camcorder asap. If you don't mind me asking – what DVD recorder do you have? I just remebered I sold mine a few weeks ago, so I need to get a new one.

I have a Toshiba XS32 - a fairly old model. I've been very happy with it. I'm not up on the latest models.. when I bought I considered Panasonic, Sony, and Pioneer as well. At the time the Toshiba had the best editing features...

"Burn to Dvd" is a Sony Vaio only feature
see here

I have an Lg RH177 DVD recorder with 80G HDD which for the last 10-12 weeks has been very well behaved. It costs around £200 now. It can record to+R, -R ( and RW) and has all the features I enjoyed in an old Panasonic HS2 which with only 40G HDD cost £800:suicide: in 2000

Like Mike I have the HC1, : shoot HDV. downconvert to DV and then record to the LG Settop recorder via firewire: either directly to disc or to its HDD then copy to disc in real time or fast dub ( when possible)
PQ is more than acceptable and I have actually used footage from DVDs' produced by it on the PC with minimal or no drop in PQ after reauthoring onPC

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom