Is it possible to run 4k video on 1080p tv?

SXK1277

Novice Member
Reaction score
On my computer, on 1080p monitor, I can still play 4k video and the quality is much better. Is this possible on TV without using HDMI cable to hook it up to the computer and just its apps like youtube, netflix, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, but if your TV isn't 4K compatible and you run HDR content through it, the colours will look awful.

You'd have to pay extra for 4K Netflix, I really doubt you'd notice any difference bar the colours looking awful.

Is this possible on TV without using HDMI cable to hook it up to the computer

EDIT - Actually, wait, forget all that, how are you going to connect the computer to the TV?

I can't though. I do extra for netflix. I have 2 tv's - 4k and 1080p. Even on youtube, I cant go into settings to adjust the resolution to 4k.

If you dont know how, then its a waste of time.

What the?

How do you get 4K on a 1080 display, it will be downscaled to 1080 on a 1080 display

It may be at a higher bandwidth and therefore look better but it's not going to be 4K.

Last edited:
If you dont know how, then its a waste of time.

So you want help, you won't answer questions designed to give information that will let me help you and now you're being a smart ass.

That's not the way to get help on any forum or social media.

I'll leave you to it. GL.

Last edited:
In order to playback 4K material the TV needs to be able to decode HEVC. With the TV being 1080p I will assume it is an older set. It is therefore unlikely to have the capability to playback h265, this makes direct playback within a TV app impossible

You have two options, depending on the power of the PC.

One is to install a media server capable of transcoding such as Plex and the PC converting it into a compatible format which can then be played back via a TV onboard app. This assume the TV has access to the required apps.

Secondly you can connect the PC over hdmi or purchase an external device capable of decoding HEVC which can see the PC either via option one or by using SMB shares, connect this to TV, the device can then downscale.

Caveat with both these options is some kind of HDR to SDR tonemapping could be required otherwise colour output will be massively compromised.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my computer, on 1080p monitor, I can still play 4k video and the quality is much better. Is this possible on TV without using HDMI cable to hook it up to the computer and just its apps like youtube, netflix, etc.

Generally not. A FHD TV will generally not have the CPU power, dedicated playback hardware or copy protection support to play back most 4K content.

While some FHD TVs would support some 4K content, it's a small enough amount that it's likely that Youtube etc. doesn't consider the research and testing necessary to provide support for them to be worthwhile.

So its not possible?

The reason I want to do it coz because it consistent with what the head at AMD says:

"And, in truth, they’d need to be even more powerful than that. Due to the way graphics cards push information to the screen they typically need to produce twice as much data than the monitor requires, otherwise you end up with visual artifacts. So, an 8K monitor would actually be receiving 16K resolution data"
Source: Both Nvidia and AMD are preparing for 8K: “for the human eye that resolution is close to perfection”

And it is also true with my experience playing 4k on 1080p monitor vs 4k on 4k monitor. Here is another example: Here are games being played on 4k monitor and 1080p monitor but it is hard to tell the difference: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dsr+vs+4k

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom