Is it possible to renew a paper style driving license?

You have to get a photo license now, my Dad had to get one when we moved home earlier this year.

You have to get a photo license now, my Dad had to get one when we moved home earlier this year.

Yes thats correct as i tried to do the same when we moved here but i had to get a photo one, i sent my £20 quid postal order for it and they sent me a £20 cheque back :confused: didn't argue though :).

Yes thats correct as i tried to do the same when we moved here but i had to get a photo one, i sent my £20 quid postal order for it and they sent me a £20 cheque back :confused: didn't argue though :).

I believe there is no charge for it if you have a paper one.

I believe there is no charge for it if you have a paper one.

Actually I think a change due to a change of address is just free. You only have to pay to update your photo (when it expires).

Actually I think a change due to a change of address is just free. You only have to pay to update your photo (when it expires).

Your photo never expires on an old paper style license as there is no photo?

So any time you want to "upgrade" to a new photo license, it's free. Or so I believe.

Well clearly :) But the photo on a photo license does expire, and you have to pay to get a new license at that time. However if you change your address on a photo license, they send you a new one FOC.

Getting a photo license has a charge, but if you can combine it with moving house then it's free.

I seem to remember doing that a thrifty student :)

Last edited:
Well clearly :) But the photo on a photo license does expire, and you have to pay to get a new license at that time. However if you change your address on a photo license, they send you a new one FOC.

Getting a photo license has a charge, but if you can combine it with moving house then it's free.

I seem to remember doing that a thrifty student :)
Yep...the right to drive is still valid until you are 70, but your photo expires after 10 years, a la passport photo..

I know because I just had to swap my UK driving licence for a German one. My UK one expired and could not be renewed as I am no longer resident in UK. Fortunately no retest was necessary :rolleyes:

The German licence by the way has no expiry on the photo. It doesn't have an address on it either. And the vehicle categories are completely different. So much for "European" driving licences...

My recommendation would be unless you absolutely have to contact the DVLA then you shouldn't. A few months back I had to request a replacement licence from them - in place of my full licence they sent me a provisional (Learner) one. It took me 4 months, 5 telephone calls, 6 letters, 1 solicitor and a long rant to my MP (and I seem to remember this forum) to get that sorted. I was seriously unhappy about that.

they charged me to replace my old paper license with a new photo license after moving to my current house in 2005

(and I seem to remember this forum)

I posted a few months ago about group entitlement mysteriously disappearing when renewing/ replacing a licence.

I think I'll leave well alone.

Changed my paper licence to a photo licence when I moved. Done it all online using my passport photo all free of charge.

they charged me to replace my old paper license with a new photo license after moving to my current house in 2005

Dad did his a couple of months back and it was free :thumbsup:

Keeping my paper one. Quite proud that after 17 years after I last changed address I still have my clean paper licence.

Cheers,

Nigel

My current paper licence is 23 years old! No plans on changing it!
Have you not moved in 23 years? Before updating my licence with my current (own home) address, my old employers' finance manager (i.e. ran the company car scheme) used to have a go at me for not updating it with my then current (temporary/rental) address (it still had my parental home address from 1989 on it), and said the DVLA could fine me for it .... still ignored him though, no harm done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom