Is it possible to recover data erased from a DVD-RAM disc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NinjaMonkeyUK, Jul 27, 2005.

1. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Does anyone know of any utilities that can recover data from a DVD-RAM disc that has been accidentally erased?

I was working with Nero tonight and accidentally selected the wrong drive to erase and "quick erased" all my important backup files.

I gather that when a disc is "quick erased", only the file tables containing file headers are wiped, and the actual data still remains on the disc, whereas when "full erase" is used, the actual content is wiped too.

Does this mean I have a chance of recovering the data? I really hope some of you can help me...

And I know all about backing up data and keeping it safe, I just made a simple mistake and didn't realise the disc was even in the drive...

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,046
  3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Hi

Second that, ISO Buster should be able to recover the data, although you need to buy and register to get the actual functionality that will do so.

Regards

Philip

4. a.wiseman

a.wiseman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread...

I was using the Panasonic MovieAlbum SE software to edit a DVD-RAM disc that had been recorded in my Panasonic DVD recorder, when I must have pressed the delete all button (rather than delete title) button by mistake.

This left me with a disk with no titles (Windows explorer showed a tiny IFO and BUP file, and no VOR file in the DVD-RTAV directory).

I bought IsoBuster, which found the UDF filesystem and attempted to recover files based on signature. But I guess it must be set up for other formats, because it gave me four 1GB VOB files and a number of IFO files.

I managed to combine the VOB files into a single VRO file and chose the largest IFO file to recreate my original disc on a new disc. Remarkably my Panasonic recorder can see titles, and knows how much free space there is, but it whines on about the disc being in an invalid format.

When I playback titles, I get lots of waiting and pauses.

If I open the VOB in VLC player, it seems to play fine (although the time elapsed jumps all over the place).

So now I'm wondering what my next best move might be. I was thinking of just using the VOB files recovered by ISOBuster to create a standard DVD, and then using my DVD recorder, first copy the DVD to my hard disk and then copy the 2h title to a fresh DVD-RAM and then re-title it all by hand.

I'm open to guidance on this - in particular whether anyone can recommend software to take a VRO/VOB file on its own and produce a DVD, preferably without re-encoding.

Incidentally I also tried another DVD rescue program which found two files it recognised as MPG - a 4GB one and a smaller one. Perhaps I would be better off purchasing that one too?

All advice gratefully received!

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,728

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering about the possibility of using DVD MovieAlbum to reimport the VOB's onto a fresh RAM disc?

I can't remember whether MovieAlbum can address VOB's - probably not... but you could try changing the extension to .mpg perhaps?

No doubt if it worked at all you would just end up with bulk video and you would have to chop it yourself into meaningful chunks.

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I would try importing into TMPGenc dvd author myself , or maybe try convertx2dvd , or videoREDO maybe ?

you can but try

7. a.wiseman

a.wiseman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks both for your very speedy replies. Panasonic MovieAlbum SE comes with a makedisc program, so I'll look at that first. If not I've seen good things written about TMPGenc and VideoReDo, so I could look at trial versions to see if they do what I need.

I hacked a copy of the IFO file recovered by ISObuster and managed to reassemble the track listings (title, channel name, freeview channel number, record date and record start time). Armed with this I could split a single recording back into its individual programmes.