Is it possible to record a video on to a cdr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ash007, Jan 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to record a video (only about 10 mins) on to a cdr that I can then play on my DVD player?

If yes, how do I do it?
    (I have a cd writer on my PC)

Thanks,
    Ash

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Convert the video file into a vcd compatible mpeg and burn onto a cdr.
    Now as long as your dvd player can read cdr's it should playback ok.

Useful links...
    www.vcdhelp.com
    www.doom9.org

3. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    hi ash,
    have you found out how to do this from your pc because i cant make head or tail of this.

thanks

dvd

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    How to make a Video CD:

1) Decide whether your DVD player is able to read CDRs or not. If not use CDRW discs to make the VCD.

2) Find out what CD burning software and version you have and check out its features. For example, Roxio Easy CD Platinum will make a fully compliant VCD for you from AVI files (and some other types) automatically.

3) If you don't have a burning software that converts in this way, but it WILL make a video CD from already-converted files, you will need to do the conversion yourself first. The files that go onto video CDs are of a very specific format - MPEG1 with a given structure that must be exact. So, if you need to convert it yourself, go to www.tmpgenc.net and download their software. You will also need winzip to unzip it, and you will need to create your own shortcut because it doesn't come with an installer. It is freeware. VCDhelp will tell you how to use TMPGENC.

4) If your CD burning software doesn't support VCD, then you will need new burning software. Nero from www.ahead.de is good. Roxio Easy CD platinum is easier to use. You have to buy these.

5) Once you have converted your video file into a suitable MPEG file (if necessary) you make the CD using the Video CD option in your burning software. You can't just put files on the disc; VCDs have a specific file structure that your burning software will create for you.

6) Once you get the hang of it, you can start being more creative by making menus and alternate play sequences etc.

Enjoy....

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    hi nigel,

sorry to sound a pain but when recording video cd is it from a video recorder or video camcorder.

thanks

dvd

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    OK Back to more basics.

You first need some way of getting the Video onto your PC's hard disk. And you will probably need a BIG hard disk, 'cos video gobbles up disk space like it had gone out of fashion.

So, you will need some sort of video capture card. Once you have one, it doesn't matter what you connect into it. It works pretty much like a VCR - making a copy of whatever is going down the input wire.

If you have a digital camcorder there may be another way of getting the digital video onto your hard disk, but I'm not familiar with these devices so I can't comment.

Once the video is in the PC as a file, then you do what I said above.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh! Now there's the Rub!! A Video Capture Card, ummm.

Which one, how much? Is it any good? Does it do the job?

Best save up for a DVD Recorder methinks!!

DaveP

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Video Capture Card:

Mine is four years old and no longer available. It is a Matrox Rainbow Runner and produces very good results. It generates video files in a compressed format to save disk space, but this is a proprietary format that can only be decoded using the same card.

Take a look at www.vcdhelp.com - there is a section on video capture cards which may give you some pointers.

DVD Recorder: I presume you are talking about an under-the-TV device. Fine, but expensive, and there is the little outstanding business of the format war (visions of VHS/V2000/Betamax).

Bear in mind that, if you do stuff on your PC you can be much, much more creative when it comes to editing, adding titles, crossfades and other effects, plus creation of menu structures and so on.

And, as you know, blank CDs are 20p each; blank DVDs are £5. If you mess up and make a coaster, a CD coaster costs 20p; a DVD coaster costs £5.

Downside of VCD over DVD: Only 75 minutes max running time, and poorer video quality than DVD.

I'll be going for a PC-based DVD writer, but probably not for three or four years. Right now, a good capture card designed to make DVD-quality files is about £400 and needs a dedicated SCSI hard disk (more money) and a DVD writer costs another £400. In three or four years..........who knows? Four years ago my CD writer was nearly £300 and blank CDs were £4 each. Get the picture?