Is it possible to output 576i with Farouja?

javelin_

Is there a 576i composite output on models with Farouja chipset, like Panasonic DVD-S100EG, Denon DVD-1930, DVD-1940 and other? I got information that Farouja does not support 576i output.

PseudoRandom

The are European versions of some Oppo DVD players that have a SCART output added. These apparently give RGB at 576i (and presumably composite).

These signals will effectively be bypassing the Faroudja chip as there is no de-interlacing or scaling required. You would still be getting the benefit of a decent MPEG decoder though, which does not exhibit chroma upsampling errors and the like.

javelin_

I got an information from Oppo that I should use a model with no Farouja chipset to output 576i. It does not make much sense to me that DVDs with Farouja do not support 576i, as it is a standard video transport and it means it can not be connected to the older TV sets.

PseudoRandom

I feel exactly the same way - eventually the player could well be consigned to hooked up to an old CRT telly in the bedroom etc. Or even temporarily if the flashy LCD/Plasma panel breaks.

If you look at 981HD at OppoShop you'll see this is different to the US model sold by CRT Projectors as it has 576i out through the SCART. (It will not do 576i over HDMI!)

AFAICT this gives the best of both worlds. The only downside (if you live in the UK) is that you have to order it from Sweden, rather than the acclaimed service from crtprojectors. OTOH, several people have expressed satisfaction with OppoShop too.

javelin_

It is against all odds, Oppo claims that 981HD does not have composite output but HDMI only, but in Sweden it is sold with composite output. Also either EU or US version, non of them supports 576i. Other, non Farouja models support 576i, but I am not sure if it also stands for the other manufacturers. It means you can buy an expensive Farouja based DVD, get it home, connect to your old type TV set and find that it does not work. It is an issue.
P.S. there is also a difference between Oppo and Denon, Oppo uses Farouja FLI2310 latest model of the chip which suffers from macroblocking. Denon DVD-1930 and DVD-1940 use Farouja FLI2301, the old version of the chip which does not suffer from macroblocking, but deinterlaceing is some inferior.

PseudoRandom

P.S. there is also a difference between Oppo and Denon, Oppo uses Farouja FLI2310 latest model of the chip which suffers from macroblocking. Denon DVD-1930 and DVD-1940 use Farouja FLI2301, the old version of the chip which does not suffer from macroblocking, but deinterlaceing is some inferior.

According to Home Theatre HIFI Shootout there's no difference in macroblocking problems between any FLI-23xx chips. :(

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom