Is it possible to NOT mount a CRT permanently?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by CooperUK, Dec 23, 2003.

1. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hopefully someone with far more knowledge than me will answer this query!

Do you have to keep a CRT in one place all of the time? The reason that I ask is because I currently have a Panny AE100 which is seated in a unit with wheels that can be placed in position before viewing a film. This is good for the wife factor.

Is it possible to do the same for a CRT, with just a bit of focus/zoom adjustment each time you view, or does the CRT PJ have to be ceiling floor mounted and therefore static?

If the CRT can be 'trolley mounted' it will be a huge factor in persuaded my better half that it is a viable upgrade!

She doesn't want anything "that bloody big" mounted on the ceiling as it will "look ugly".

Merry Christmas to you all...

Coop

2. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have to be honest i am not an expert, but i would say everytime you moved it if it was not put back in the same spot you would have to converge it everytime,

maybe just a make a couple of marks on the floor once you have it set up, you may only have to do a small amount of convergance, but in reality they are meant to be permanently mounted like in the real cinema!

Gordon or Roland or chris are the real experts they may have a solution to your question,

but i feel personally they should be permanently mounted

3. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not ideal, although when I went for a demo of an Ellie projector to Screens UK that was how it was set up and just wheeled into place. So probably be alright as a last resort.

4. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience of table mounted crt any slight movement or repositioning can cause a noticable degradation in image. Even when you don't move it at all you still need to re-converge everynow and again due to floorboards moving etc. Even marking out the posistion with tape you'd have to be very precise to get it perfect each timeIn short I wouldn't recommend it if you can help it.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    A little bit of tweaking (*) each time you use it is all that is needed.

(*)....which takes about half a day

If you have to have a mobile set up - keep to single lens (eg LCD or DLP) projector.

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Looks like I'll have to go the DLP route, but not for a while yet.

I'll wait until DLP improves and the rainbows are not an issue.

Still happy with my Panny though - so musn't grumble :)

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It is possible with a bit of care and as long as you accept the inevitable trade-off between convenience and ultimate picture quality.

If you think it is practical to keep moving 40-70 kilos of projector, then the answer is to have something in the floor to lock the projector trolley back in the same position each time. You also need to fix the projector to the trolley.

The other solution is to get really really good at convergence ;)

Good luck

8. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I remember at one point when DJs used to cart CRT projectors to music events and converge them on the spot. So it is possible.

You wont get the best in quality though, so if I had to do this then I'd probably go DLP even though the quality isn't so good.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I set them up every day but I would not consider moving a CRT around. Get one of those temporary DLP or LCD things ;)

(Try taking the cooker out of the kitchen each night because you think it smells maybe the projector will get to stay in place longer)

10. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you just permanently floor mount it in a box made to look like a coffee table. A bit of joinery and cabinetry work for you. In beautiful polished timber. She may even love you.

alternatively - you need to decide which is more imprtant, the CRT PJ or the wife. For me it is the former.

But everybody is different. :D

cheers

Bill

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I like this man

12. ziggypop

ziggypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,

I mean projectors don't mind being mounted permanently, don't mind being opened up and screwed around to achieve their best, and generally don't dummy spit for years and just quietly perform as needed.

Some CRT projectors which shall remain nameless, cost a king's ransom to buy and then sulk if they are not tweaked and loved at least once a day.

(I hope I haven't offended anyone :clown: ) I mean my little seleco does what it is meant to do quietly and efficiently and for a CRT is relatively unobtrusive crouched on the ceiling :D .

cheers

Bill