1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to mix your speaker cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blue_harvester, Dec 21, 2004.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use Gale XL105 for my rear and centre speakers, and Gale XL160 BIWIRE for my front left and right. However I'd like to concele my surround cable as much as possible and as the current stuff is pretty chunky I'd like to get some thinner stuff, that is preferably white.

Is it ok to use different surround speaker cable to that of the centre and fronts? I was thinking of getting Audio Innovations ULTRA MICRO from RS, what do you think?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use different cable at the rears as I wanted something thinner that would go under the carpet. I don't suppose that it matters a great deal for rears anyway.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    No problem at all as long as the cable is rated correctly (ie. not going to melt). Loads of people do this for exactly the reasons you've come across :)

4. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be putting a laminate floor down and changing the skirting boards soon so thin cable would be perfect. What thin cable would you recommend and how do you recommend I fit it i.e. under the floor, track it around the side of the floor, behind the skirting etc? BTW I'm going to be using wooden skirting not the hollow stuff specifically for cabling.

5. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blue_harvester, having just been thr the whole floating flooring scenrio I can advise this:
    If you have no skirtings at the moment, they'll flush it (approx) against the wall. There may even be a small gap between the wall and the boards (you cable could drop in here).
    If you DO have skirtings at the moment, they will cut a rebate at the base of the skirt, allowing the flooring to slide under the skritings, looking more natural and less of a after thought.

After this has been sorted, they'll nail off a piece of quad (imagine a looooooooong piece of wood in the shape of a quarter of a circle) against the skirting and the jobs done.

If you want, I'll take some digi photo's of the job so you can get a better idea. But the basic gist is that if you talk to the person doing the job and advise them of what you're trying to do, they _may_ be able to help you slip the cable down the small side gap that WILL exist along the edge of the walls.

Just make sure you get enough cable, cause you'll be running it a loooooooooong way from the amp back to the speakers.

CP

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    LOL ! :laugh: I think you would probably burst your eardrums first, unless you're wiring your speakers with Litz wire :rotfl:

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You're right, but it's the "unless" that worries me. ;)

Using some 3A mains cable, for example, with an amplifier that can output far more current than that is somewhat foolish. :)

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Given the generous overload rating of british cables, you would need to be pushing at least 200W of continuous sine wave into an 8 ohm speaker to produce any appreciable heat in a 3A cable. Hence the blown eardrums :)

9. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: