Quantcast

Is It Possible To Make My Own Scart Lead?

wokeye

This may sound like a strange question but I have reason for it unless anybody has any other ideas. My problem is I am stuck for space under my TV where I currently have my amplifier, Video Recorder, DVD player and Sky Digi-box. I am not that happy with my Pioneer DV-565A's CD playback performance and would like to buy a separate CD player as I have a decent amp (Arcam Alpha 9) so to do this I would like to put my Video recorder in the understairs cupboard that I have as I hardly use it. However it needs to be connected to the Sky digi-box via one scart lead.

This is my problem I would need to drill a hole through the wall to feed the Scart cable to the the Video in the closet, I would rather make my own cable as I do not want to drill a hole big enough for a huge scart connector to pass through. Is this possible, or could I use one of them leads that has the 2 audio connectors and one video phono plug thingies that plug into a scart connector, and could feed them through the hole one at a time or are these crap? I guess I would also need some kind of remote control sender to operate the video when it is inside the understairs closet. Anybody any ideas or anything simpler? Thanks for any advice :smashin:

M

Member 34135

You could use a scart adapter but you will only be able to use composite video or s-video (if your box supports it). If you want to use RGB video then your best bet is to make one.

Andy.

eviljohn2

Novice Member
If you're relatively competent at basic electronics then you can certainly make your own. Presumably you wouldn't even contemplate it if you weren't though!

Just get the plugs from any of the component suppliers and some suitable cable/heatshrink. There are plenty of pinout diagrams available on the web and if you have problems just shout out here (or on the DIY thread) :thumbsup:

eddiethehead

Novice Member
I would say a 3 phono - 3 phono lead with scart adaptors at each end would indeed be your best bet (or one of those av kits from Argos). TBH video quality isn't brilliant anyway, and for all the extra hassle, i don't think making your own scart will be a huge improvement.

Mark.

F

fufna

I've made a few video in-out scart leads in my time, piece of p**s as long as you use the correct pinout!

M

Member 34135

Originally posted by lmccauley
The original poster was talking about a cable for his VCR, so RGB isn't really an issue.

Cheers,
Liam
Well spotted Liam, I mis-read the original post, a pair of scart adapters a coax video lead and a stereo audio pair is all that's required, its not worth mucking around making a cable, IMHO.

Andy.