Is it possible to limit bandwidth on each computer?

Westindieman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to stop my lads from hogging the internet connection and disrupting other users.

Most routers sold today support QOS, which allows you to prioritise traffic types.

Limiting bandwidth on a per user/IP address basis I have not seen before on a consumer router, unless it was running the paid for version of the DD-Wrt firmware.

My Netgear WNDR3700 does but I don't need to use it myself as I have 40/10 broadband.

Think it does individual control on MAC address (see below).

Details of what you can do with router in QOS section copied below:

QoS Settings Help

QoS is an advanced feature that you can use to prioritize some Internet applications and online gaming, and to minimize the impact when the bandwidth is busy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) Settings

WMM (Wireless Multimedia) is a subset of the 802.11e standard. WMM allows wireless traffic to have a range of priorities, depending on the kind of data. Time-dependent information, like video or audio, has a higher priority than normal traffic. For WMM to function correctly, wireless clients must also support WMM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn Internet Access QoS On

If this feature is enabled, the QoS function prioritizes Internet traffic. For applications, online gaming, an Ethernet LAN port, or a specified MAC address that already exists in the drop-down list, you can modify the priority level by clicking the Edit button. You can click the Delete button to erase the priority rule. You can also define the priority policy for each online game, application, LAN port, or the computer's MAC address by clicking the Add Priority Rule button.

Bandwidth Control

To setup the total maximum uplink bandwidth by Turn Bandwidth Control On.And you can click the check button to detect current uplink bandwidth which will help you to determinate the maximum bandwidth setting.

To save or cancel changes:

Click Apply to have your changes take effect.

Click Cancel to return to the previous settings.

For Applications or Online Gaming

To set up the priority for an application or online gaming:

1. Select Applications or Online Gaming from the Priority Category lists.
2. Select the Internet application or game you want to use from one of the relevant lists.
3. Select the priority level: Highest, High, Normal, or Low.
4. You can also type the name in the QoS Policy for field for this rule.
5. Click Apply .
For an Ethernet LAN port

To set up the priority for computers connected to a LAN port:

1. Select the number of the LAN port for which you want to specify the priority level.
2. Select the priority level: Highest, High, , or Low.
3. You can also type the name in the QoS Policy for field for this rule.
4. Click Apply.
For a MAC address

To set up the priority for a specified computer through its MAC address:

1. Select the MAC address from the Priority Category list.
2. Click the Refresh button to update the list of those computers already connected to routers.
3. Select the entry's radio button in the table.
4. Modify the information in the MAC Address and Device Name fields.
5. Select the priority level: Highest, High, Normal, or Low.
6. You can also type the name in the QoS Policy for field for this rule.
7. Click the Edit button.
8. Click Apply.
To add the priority for a specified computer through its MAC address:

1. Select MAC Address from the Priority Category list.
2. Enter the MAC address of the computer for which you want to define the priority.
3. You can also enter a name in the Device Name field.
4. Select the priority level: Highest, High, Normal, or Low.
5. You can also type the name in the QoS Policy for field for this rule.
6. Click the Add button.
7. Click Apply.
To delete a service entry:

1. Select the entry's radio button in the table.
2. Click the Delete button.
3. Click the Apply button.

Last edited:
Thanks psikey, really really helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom