Is it possible to keep components in a cupboard and still use the remote?

Navrig

Established Member
Reaction score
As the thread title says.

I didn't explain our new room layout after the purchase of a new amp and speakers. So my wife is concerned that we are going to buy a hifi cabinet and lose a cupboard which matches the decor.

Is there a way to make the remote work through the cupboard doors? Don't suggest taking the doors off. They match the decor.

Remote will be a Harmony 555 when it arrives. Components are AV amp, DVD player and Xbox.

Have a search for IR extender - Keene kits are supposed to be good.

You will need an ir receiver that's visible and some emitters in the cupboard.

Powermids are also popular which communicate between a receiver and emitter via RF

Last edited:
Powermids worked fine for me until Harmony models with IR extenders came out.

You could cancel the current order and opt for a Harmony that has it built in rather than a 555

That's what I did, and would now recommend.

The Harmony 900 and 1100 have their own InfraRed extenders. They convert the IR commands for devices that you specify to RF, and send that to the Extender which converts it back to IR for transmission to the devices which are out of line of sight.

Thanks however the 900 seems a lot more expensive.

Looking at the Keene electronics I should be able to achieve the same for a lot less with a Harmony 555 and a Keene IR kit

Yes, the model is fairly new and the price far too high!
A "kit" would be OK, but you don't need that - as monksy also suggested, there are dozens of proprietary extenders from ÂŁ25 up that will work with the Harmony.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll keep looking.

Although the Keene kit looks like it could be hidden well with the receiver which could be fitted into the side of the cupboard and the wands which could be fixed to the inside of the cupboard doors.

Most extenders don't need any fitting or fixing at all!

i bought the Keene IR kit with the receiver that is designed to be mounted (e.g. in the side of a cupboard) but it's actually larger than I thought and pretty unattractive - my wife certainly didn't want it mounted onto the wooden alcove cupboard we'd just had fitted...! - so you may be better off just getting the normal receiver and putting it somewhere unobtrusive. I'd also say the Keene kit is good, does what you expect it should do and the range / angle seems pretty good too.

I am obviously missing something here.

The 555 works on IR and for that you need line of sight (direct or reflective)between the remote and the receiver on each component (I hope this is a correct statement).

I propose to store the AV1910, DVD/HDD player and XBox in a solid cupboard with solid doors. (with extra ventilation in the rear panel - against the wall to allow heat out and cables in.) The components will be on 2 or 3 shelves. The shelves extend quite close to the door line. The doors will normally be closed.

To get a "line of sight" I need to have a receiver on or around the cupboard which connects to a transmitter inside the cupboard. However within the cupboard the transmitter will still need line of sight to the receiver on each component.

Where do I sit a transmitter within the cupboard to make sure it has direct or reflective line of sight to each component?

To get a "line of sight" I need to have a receiver on or around the cupboard which connects to a transmitter inside the cupboard.
That's the bit you've got wrong - one unit stands in line of sight, receives IR from your 555, and converts that to RF - the other is inside the cupboard where it receives the RF, converts it back to IR, and emits that to the devices.
The emitter unit normally has enough IR "power" to bounce around and find all the devices, but with most of them - such as Powermids - you have the option to use tiny emitters attached to the devices.

Last edited:
Logiciel - many thanks. I now understand and will look more closely at one of the non-kit solutions.

The doors are hi-gloss red plastic coated and, as you suggest, will probably offer enough reflection to reach all 3 components.

Sorted, I think.

That's OK, and I'm pretty sure that will work, but you know where to ask if anything else comes up.
btw: Logitech make an Extender for use with any IR remote, but it's not yet available outside the US:
Logitech® Harmony® IR Extender System
Also the 900 and 1100 Harmony models incorporate their own IR Extenders and are generally available.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a Harmony 555 and use some IR extenders that I got from ebay for approx ÂŁ10 each as shown in the photos below. I have also just recently added the PS3 Harmony Adpater which is excellent.

My%20Setup%208.JPG

My%20Setup%2016.JPG

My%20Setup%2017.JPG

Hope this helps!

Logi,

I have just bought the Harmony one and was wondering if I can still use my Powermids with this?

All my AV gear is in a seperate room.

Hi Phil - the Harmony is an IR remote, Powermids are IR extenders, so yes, they do work together.:thumbsup:

Hi Phil - the Harmony is an IR remote, Powermids are IR extenders, so yes, they do work together.:thumbsup:

Thanx Logi...its all coming together now.

OK Phil, if anything doesn't quite join up just feel free to ask here.:thumbsup: Logi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom