1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to get a reliable Sky signal?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by swarrans, Apr 27, 2005.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always had occasional picture breakup from my Sky digital set up despite my dish being professionally aligned, nothing between it and the satellite etc etc.
    After posting on another thread I decided to try a new "better" lnb and replaced my old Grundig 0.7 dB with a 0.3dB SynTec 2000 Platinum. Signal quality and strength readings did seem to go up a little (from 60/80 to 65/90) but then it rained and I got the worst break up I've EVER had! Completely unwatchable and ocassionally lapsing to "Satelite Signal Not Received"
    It seems as if the new LNB is even more susceptable to picture break up - gutted! (be even more gutted if I'd paid the £129 list price for the lnb).

Question - does anybody have a 100% reliable picture on Sky?...and...what can I do next? Has anyone used a Syntec 2000 lnb - is mine faulty?

Simon

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    SKY has a very strong signal that is a given, where u are u should get perfect reception. U dont say what dish size u are using or the make of the receiver? just because it was professionally installed does not mean it was correctly done.

An 0.7db lnb will work fine. U should start at the basics if u are having picture problems and it takes an absolute downpour ie tropical to affect the picture if the dish is properly aligned. Check cable going into lnb and into back of box, in fact I would cut it and re-do both ends correctlly

say a bit more

gb

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, more detail:
    1. Live in Kent, no trees between dish and sat, just sky!..
    2. Dish was a std installed Sky digital dish (although it seems to measure more like 53cm across than the "std" 43cm)
    3. Receiver is a Sony 760
    4. If the dish was incorrectly aligned, could I still get readings of 90% signal strength and 65%- 70% signal quality?
    5. I would say the lnb is subjectively "worse" than the old one and more sensitive to scew - I can change the quality reading from 50% to 65% purely by adjusting scew.

I will try cutting back the cable at both ends and re-fitting..

Simon

4. GaryM999

GaryM999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check your cable for bad connections and damage.

How old is the Sky box and how warm does it run?

Like most set top boxes the PSU is favourite for failure. And the types of failure can be odd. And only affect certain channels.

Typically the capcitors start to dry out while running hot. The other thing can be dry joints.

Depending on your model there are plenty of PSU upgrade kits that can be used to replace the usual suspects. There are even cooling kits.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's very easy to knock the dish off alignment when changing LNB's - or if the new LNB is heavier than the old one, it can pull the dish off alignment.

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess about 6 years old - how do I check the internal temperature?

Could I still get 90% signal strength and 70% quality with "bad" connections - currently indicating that rock solid and yet the picture is breaking up on BBC2 badly in clear weather!

Simon

7. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point, but I was very careful. I may put the old LNB back on as a control experiment and see if it goes back to how it was...

Simon