is it possible to get a decent 60 - 65 inch for around 800 or less?

leeb-1977

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this in a previous comment but thought id open up a thread to help me brain fart my way around this whole buying a new TV debacle.

Basically - I've got a currys voucher with me now (£369 on it) which pretty much ties me into them.

I've no issue adding some cash - although as I've a wedding to pay for the motto of less is more is certainly one id like to live by :)

Currently have a Samsung LE40a656 so its a little old hat, although I'm more than happy with the picture quality and motion processing from it. We've just moved the room around and now I have a blank wall and a TV bench that's 1.8m wide... so the old 40" is looking a little forlorn.

Add to this the fact that I have an xbox one x and a ps4 pro, and its obvious that its time to upgrade.

The bigger the better is the order of the day - ideally a 65" but im fast realising that I need to temper my expectations and ive been looking at 55" with a heavy heart.

my only hope is that currys price match - and ive been keeping my eyes on Ao.com and John lewis / argos to see whats going on with them.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Ive read the budget 2017 recommendations thread with keen interest - and the standout seems to be the Hisense H55n6800UK at £649... infact if it were a little bigger I wouldn't even post, but somehow I just cant get over that 60"-65" thing in my head.

I notice the Panny 58ex700b is the same price.... but im struggling to find any reviews.

To compound matters more - a walk into currys this morning on my break gave me the opportunity to see the Sony xe8596, and Samsung q6 Qled for around the £800 mark (also the Samsung MU8000).... all very impressive to my eyes, but still in that 55" bracket.

For what its worth the tv will be used for Gaming, 4k Bluray and streaming (Netflix and amazon) and general tv via a TiVo box - and as you can see by the avatar I do like my premiership footy :D ;) so motion processing is of importance. Id love some hald decent HDR functionality too.

Im just looking for something that will give me a bit of wow factor over my aging Samsung set from 2008.

Can anyone help me out of this brain spin ive got myself into?

Last edited:
I think the short answer is no, especially as you’re tied down for options. Could you sell the voucher to a relative?

Realistically @ 65” and decent HDR, I think you’re looking at refurb/used sets.

Cant sell on the voucher as there's no one looking to buy unfortunately.

I feared as much, which might mean that that im looking at the N6800UK - just a little disappointed with the size of it.

How about if I forget about the HDR side of things and just go for something that's decent at SD / FHD and UHD playback?

Have you tried offloading your voucher on zeek.me? Never used it myself but just thought I would throw it out there...

You can get a decent UHD TV with that much at 55" and at 65" you can just about get the Hisense N6800 which is a great TV for the price.

You can't get a model that is decent with HDR at any size...maybe some people found the Sony 49XE9005 for £800 but I think its sold out now.

However don't be put off, the Hisense is still a very good TV, even if it may mean you prefer gaming on it with HDR disabled and depending on your viewing distance you'll need 65" to get more detail with HD and possibly UHD anyway.

cheers all, I may look into that Zeek thing as currys do not offer the 65" version of the hisense. typical!

Is not getting married an option?

That would open up the field a bit.

SONY BRAVIA KD65XE7002 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV this TV is probably due for a discount.

Its very overpriced at this size, the 55" model is almost half what this costs. Its also currently running with a cashback offer which usually ends up in raw discount once the the new range comes in.

Thats probably the only TV worth going for at that size. The key with buying isn't neccesarily which model you go for, but the timing of when you buy so the best thing to do is to keep an eye on pricing over time.

what are we thinking about Phillips LCD's these days? the PUS6000 series tend to come in quite cheap - are they ones to be avoided?

Same question for Toshiba and LG.

Infact the LG deals seem great - are the IPS screens really that far behind the VA ones? The wider viewing angle wouldn't hurt at all as the worst seat in the front room is easily 45 degrees. Although its only used for visitors so not a major priority.

The only reason Philips/LG aren't recommend is just that. IPS panels. If you need wide viewing angles though IPS is needed from an LCD.

The problem is IPS panels come with traits that most people can't stand, you are more prone to have the backlight shining through from behind resulting in worse screen uniformity. It also means blacks and contrast aren't as good which means they can generally lack depth, especially with the lights of and/or in dark scenes.

But IPS is a tech that is used for years and if you aren't really bothered by the caveats and need wide viewing angles its no dealbreaker.

The Philips 6 series are using 60hz.
The LGs UJ6-7 series are 60hz.
LG SJ models are 120hz.

You may wonder the difference between all the LG UJ models, the answer is very little to not at all. Most differences are in aesthetic design with different colours and different stands. Some of them come with harman kardon sound which probably means they will sound a little better and some of them come with wide colour gamuts for HDR, although that is next to useless on a TV that isn't going to be good with HDR anyway.

Toshiba are Vestel rebadges and are best avoided, they are no different to the cheap supermarket brands nowadays.

I have a Hisense 65 inch 5500 fantastic TV with great picture
Does hande HDR if you can find the material, but to be honest HDR is a case of the emperor's clothes

So, I'm still looking. After a slight reality check I've reduced my max price to 700 notes.

I think... for me thats ruling out a 65 inch set.

So.... I'm looking at the following models and would appreciate some feedback (assume all 55 inch unless stated otherwise):

Hisense n6800 - £649
Hisense u7a - £649
Sony xe8396 - £729
Sony xe7002 -£579
Sony xe7073 -£599
Samsung mu6470u - £649
Panasonic ex700b 58 inch -£649

Any thoughts on

1) motion processing
2) hdr performance.... I know I won't be getting much.

Cheers.

Ps... suggested dropping the wedding. The surgery to retrieve my nuts is next week [emoji6]

Last edited:
Samsung MU70xx was recently reduced to £700 so I'd aim to get that model. I think it was that price after a discount code at richer sounds but may be even cheaper if you count cashback from elsewhere too. Possibly can be obtained even less if you price match with this store.

This TV will be best with motion handling if you use motion enhancements because it has a 120hz panel.

Otherwise the Hisense U7A looks promising also with a 120hz panel, not sure how their motion processing compares overall though.

Best of the rest for motion probably the Sony's (both same tv's you linked) - these will be just as good if you don't use motion enhancements.

What prices can you get for these TVs?

HDR performance wise all the TVs have a wide colour gamut apart from the Sony's. I'd say to forget about HDR at this price range but the best of the rest again is probably the Samsung MU7000 provided you can get that TV under £700.

Good luck!

Thanks... I've updated the post with prices.

Currys don't sell the mu7000... but they do the mu7070 for £799. I'm guessing outs the same as the 7000

Thanks... I've updated the post with prices.

Currys don't sell the mu7000... but they do the mu7070 for £799. I'm guessing outs the same as the 7000
Yep, they are naughty selling an exclusive version (Currys do this a lot) so they don't have to match other pricing. It's the same TV, different colour but with a sat tuner also. Could always get cashback with currys or look out for a deal that comes along, they seem to be pretty regular.

Currys also price match, but they will probably decline it on the face the MU7070 is a slightly different spec even though it's the same TV. Still though I expect it will be reduced in time similarly to the other MU7000 as the new NU series are out.

More food for thought then.

Price wise I'm attracted to the u7a. The 7000 up at 800 notes is only just off the n6800 at 65 inch in terms of pricing.

I'd love an xe9005, but they need to drop by about 300 quid to make that a reality for me.

More food for thought then.

Price wise I'm attracted to the u7a. The 7000 up at 800 notes is only just off the n6800 at 65 inch in terms of pricing.

I'd love an xe9005, but they need to drop by about 300 quid to make that a reality for me.
Then go for the 65N6800, bigger is really better so the missus likes to remind me:facepalm:

No it really is. Most people don't even view close enough for FHD resolution. Recommended viewing distance from a 55" is 1m from a 65" its 1.2m.

You can double that for fhd.

So really, there hasn't been a more important time to get a bigger TV. Bigger=more immersion, more detail.

There are tangiable benefits going for a mid range model tbh, they kind of sit in the middle of nowhere. If you can't get the XE9005 then the TV's are going to be poor with HDR anyway.

I agree... but that's pushing me back to the price I dont want to pay atm....I wad just using it as an example.

I'd love a 65... but I just can't see how the cash is going to stretch that far. [emoji20]

what are we thinking about Phillips LCD's these days? the PUS6000 series tend to come in quite cheap - are they ones to be avoided?

Same question for Toshiba and LG.

Infact the LG deals seem great - are the IPS screens really that far behind the VA ones? The wider viewing angle wouldn't hurt at all as the worst seat in the front room is easily 45 degrees. Although its only used for visitors so not a major priority.

Toshiba is a Vestel rebadged, avoid.

Are some Vestel rebadged TV brands better ranges than others?

Phillips are no longer, they are now made by TP Vision, in Hong Kong and the Phillipines, they have a reputation for awful customer service and build quality as I hear over on the owner's thread, I would avoid.

LG at the lower to mid range use IPS RGBW panels, unless you need a wide viewing angle, avoid these panels if you view really close to the screen, they are also very overpriced compared to the competition, really only OLED models are worth considering from LG such as the B7 or C8.

Cheers mate- all of that pretty much supports what dodge has said.

Which leaves me with a heart vs head decision.

Head says - go for a 55" where I get more for my money.... heart is screaming for a 65"

Its like an angel and devil on each shoulder moment. Ive looked at a mates 55" and im wondering of 65" is too big.... but that devil says that ive got a 1.8m tv bench and I should fill it and then get used to the size of the tv.

Mind you... £600 - £700 doesn't get you very far when youre looking at 60" - 65"

Perhaps a Hisense N5300
Hisense NEC5600 60"
Panasonic tx-58ex700b 58"

After that im looking at 55" which throws the doors wide open for the Hisense u7a, 6800 and a whole host of Sony sets.

Like I say - head says to go for 55.... but that devil is telling me that bigger is better.:D

I'd say unless you can afford the N6800 at 65" go 55". I don't think you really want to be going beneath that model in quality to get a larger size.

right - I feel like ive faffed with this for long enough and ive now set myself a limit of £650.

Reason being - I see this tv as a stop gap that's got to last 2-3 years at best. My hearts in OLED but my wallet and heart are not aligned.

So... pending any more price drops at currys over the weekend which bring the n6800 into play at 65 inch (not likely), or the Samsung MU7070 (again.. unlikely) ive narrowed it down to the following sets:

Hisense n6800 55"
Hisense u7a 55"
Panasonic ex700b 58"
Sony KD55xe7002 55"

From my experience with our 40" Samsung MU6400 I can see that having a wide colour gamut and HDR processing does make a difference even at the low end (I know - not true HDR... but enough that I believe it still has a benefit)... so a WCG is a must.

My eye is drawn to the Panasonic due to the extra real estate, but is there a standout from the above?

Very little in the way of credible reviews for the u7a - I know Steve Withers will be reviewing one soon, but I want a tv this weekend ;)

Again - still tied into Currys do to this blooming £369 voucher.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom