1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to get 1080i on a TH42PW4B plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by yapota, Jun 24, 2004.

1. yapota

yapota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have owned a TH42PW4B panasonic plasma for the last 2 years and my dealer has been telling me that I should now upgrade it so that I can view HDTV (1080i?) in the future.

When I bought the Plasma it was on the basis that I was told it was HDTV compatible. Also various reviews on the Home Cinema Choice Online site also stated this. In fact a What Home Cinema review on the site still claims it to be HDTV compatible.

My main question is this. If the Plasma is not HDTV compatible is it possible to achieve HDTV picture using scalers like Iscan or a similar product ? Also what is the best way to achive the pest picture. My other components include Lexicon MC-12, Arcam FMJ DV27 DVD Player and SKY+.

Thanks

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

I'm sure your PW4 is compatible with 720p and 1080i HD signals in that it can accept and display a down-scaled image to match the 480 line resolution of the screen. To take better advantage of HD broadcasts you would need a 768 line plasma, or even better, a 1080 line model which are on the way. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Just to add to this thread. The only likely source of HD material this plasma may not be happy showing is 1080i50Hz (such as that from Euro1080). At the time the W4 was for sale there were not real sources of such a signal so I am not sure it will be possible to display that. Of course, now there are sources like this and I expect we'll see 1080i50 compatability being put in new displays just like we did with PAL Progressive.

The W4 was/is the pinnacle of SD plasma from Panasonic. Unless you have HD sources now that you want to watch it might be best advised to wait for the generation after those that are about to be launched. I expect they will have 1920x1080 panels and by then there will be a lot more HD material knocking around to view.

Gordon